Reviewing as a host when I’m not there

David6403
Level 2
Wanaka, NZ

Reviewing as a host when I’m not there

I’m letting my home out whilst I’m travelling overseas. When it comes to reviewing guests, I don’t actually know whether they’ve followed the house rules or left the place clean and tidy, although I do get a bit of feedback from the cleaners who go in after they’ve left. Anybody have advice on how to deal with this, or am I over-analysing this? Should I assume everything is OK unless I’ve heard otherwise?

5 Replies 5
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@David6403 

I would rely on the information you get from your cleaners. Ask them to send you a short report after each stay. Do you have a co-host who will be checking the place before/after guests? Will you be communicating with the guest via Airbnb? Reviews that comment on the guest's communication or lack there of are always helpful in my opinion. You shouldn't review immediately after you get the prompt. Give it a day or two to make sure the property has been completely checked/cleaned. 

David6403
Level 2
Wanaka, NZ

Thanks Emilia. I’m new to this game but see what you mean about communication. I think I’ve probably been too generous with my first guest, who barely communicated at all, because of fears of a bad review in return. 

@David6403 

You don't have to fear a bad review in return since reviews are blind. Reviews can not be seen until each party has written one OR until the 14 day review period is over. Also, guests cannot access their own star ratings (which are only available to hosts who use instant book.) 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

@David6403, It's important to realise how reviews work. They're blind. A guest can't see what you've written about them, until they've written their own review about you,  and vice versa   -  therefore no reason  not to be fair but honest in how your rate and describe guests

David6403
Level 2
Wanaka, NZ

Thanks very much. I hadn’t realised that.