Reviews Based on Hotel Stays: Suggestions and Questions.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Reviews Based on Hotel Stays: Suggestions and Questions.

In my limited hosting experience, I have recently noticed that guests who don't understand the platform tend to give poor reviews.

I recently had a guest stay who gave five stars in all six categories, five complements, and an overall rating of 4. When I asked what it was, she thought I could improve; she said: "honestly nothing, everything was great."

My concern with this guest and the other three guests who marked me down for one reason or another is that they are reviewing/comparing based on a 5-star hotel stay.

Currently guests who book on Airbnb agree that they understand they are not booking a hotel when they book!

My recommendation to Airbnb is that guests should also agree that they understand they are not reviewing a hotel when they begin their review. The review page should clarify what they booked, and the guests should be asked to review that booking based on the booking and not based on their past hotel stay experiences. If the review is lower than a five, the guests should be required to explain the reason for the lowered score. It could even be a dropdown.

With this last guest, I worked very hard to make sure she was happy; I left her snacks, bottled water, and breakfast; not included in the booking. She arrived 2 hours before check-in when I was still preparing the house, and I told her it was okay. She brought a friend with her even though it was against the rules. I offered to drive the items that she left behind to her because I knew she was still in town. During her stay, she texted me pictures with her friend to let me know that she was enjoying her visit. I checked prior, during, and after checkout to make sure everything was okay. But even though I worked hard to make her stay was great, and even though she said there was no room for improvement, I still got 4 Stars overall, and there is nothing I can do to change this review.

This review was the most damaging because it lowered my overall score which is still high, but if it continues it will affect my superhost host status. I have had other ratings that were unfair as well. Such as being marked down because the house was bigger than expected even though the listing states it is 660 square feet, or getting marked down because the house is 5 miles out of town when the listing is set to the exact location and states that it is 5 miles out of town.

I work very hard to set expectations; how do you prevent this? If you have suggestions, I would love them. It's very frustrating. I am aware I can't please everyone, but any tips or suggestions are appreciated. I will be providing feedback to Airbnb.

6 Replies 6
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Jillian115   Welcome to the Airbnb community forum. There are quite a few posts related to the review system. Id encourage you to do a search in the forum. One recent post is below for your reference

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Define-quot-5-stars-quot/td-p/1153175

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Thank you this is very helpful. I have a book that talks about the house and local are and state that reviews are very important to hosts. I’m going to add more information clarifying the rating system. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jillian115  It's kind of a waste of a host's time and energy to run around trying to accomodate a guest who breaks your rules, or asks for or expects some special treatment. They don't necessarily leave good reviews, and in fact often leave bad ones, even if you've obviously gone out of your way to be helpful.  It's the guests who are content, appreciative, are more interested in enjoying themselves than finding things to complain about, and don't expect anything past what you offered in your listing who leave the good reviews, so when you sense a guest is like this, save your little extras for them, they deserve it, because they are no-hassle guests who leave good reviews. The complainers, the ones who arrive long before check-in or check-out late, the rule breakers, won't leave you any better reviews just because you made them an unlisted breakfast, than if you didn't bother.

Jillian115
Level 10
Jamestown, CA

Thanks! This has been my experience too. The guests tho have left bad reviews have all been difficult customers, and older. Airbnb CS told me to work extra hard when I get older guests so I can encourage them to leave a better review. 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

They expect Ritz-Carlton experience in a basic room in prime location for 10 bucks. 

Have you ever tried to deny an entry to the "friend" - undeclared guest? 

Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

I actually try very hard in my listing description to SCARE OFF problematic guests. I list every little nit picky thing that might upset the fussy guest. That way they never book in the first place. I have NO PROBLEM booking the bread and butter of my business which is summer weekends. If one person doesn't book then there's always someone else to take their place.