Reviews / Star Ratings

Answered!
Anna2113
Level 2
Australia

Reviews / Star Ratings

When a host  gives a star rating for cleanliness can the guest see this.

1 Best Answer
Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Anna2113, I have been a guest a few times and have no idea what my star ratings are. I can only read the written review. I have read here before (awhile ago) that if you give the guest a really low star rating, Airbnb will send an automated message reminding them to be a good guest or something along those lines. But I am not sure if this is still the case.

Regardless, please be honest and factual in your reviews.

View Best Answer in original post

11 Replies 11
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Anna2113   Category ratings are displayed as an aggregate of guest reviews but a host can see the individual ratings for each of the reviews from guests.  Guests can also see the individual category ratings in a host review.  Was there an issue that prompts your question?

Thank you Linda

I didn’t think my last guest (only my second) was worthy of a 5 star rating for cleanliness, but wasn’t sure if I was being too fussy.

Things like a very dirty microwave and oven, food scraps on the floor, bin not emptied and a few other things, but all easily cleaned up. I gave a 5 because I thought I was being petty and I can only gauge with future guests.

If I’d left a 4star I was wondering if guest gets to see all star ratings along with written review.

Thank you again Linda

Regards

Anna

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Anna2113, I have been a guest a few times and have no idea what my star ratings are. I can only read the written review. I have read here before (awhile ago) that if you give the guest a really low star rating, Airbnb will send an automated message reminding them to be a good guest or something along those lines. But I am not sure if this is still the case.

Regardless, please be honest and factual in your reviews.

Thank you so much for your reply, very helpful. This is only mt second booking on Airbnb.

For cleanliness I really only wanted to give last guest a 4 for cleanliness but ended up giving a 5 mainly because I thought maybe I set my standards too high.

Things like a really dirty microwave, oven, food scraps on the floor and a few other small things.

Easily cleaned up I know, but I guess I’m still learning.

Many thanks again Emilia

kind regards

Anna

@Anna2113, many experienced hosts will tell you they were too soft in the beginning. Star ratings have much less of an impact on the guest than they do on the host. A string of 4 star reviews isn't going to boot a guest from Airbnb by any means. Actually, one of the problems is that many guests don't actually know how to improve since the star ratings are so vague and guests can't actually see them. Do whatever you gut tells you. But never feel like you are being to petty. It is your house and your rules. 

Hi Emilia,

how are you? I've been hosting since June 2018 and this is the very first time I've clicked on the "Community Center" link. Please forgive me if you're wondering what my upcoming query has to do with this particular topic. You seem to be a knowledgeable/ experienced host, so, instead of calling the airbnb Superhost hotline, as I'm wont to do,  I'm "(ab)using" you :-). Here goes:

I'm a 4-time Superhost with 45 guest reviews...and counting. As a real newbie, I was once (deservedly) given 4 stars for "accuracy",  So far, so good. All other reviews exclusively 5 stars until last month when a guest (most undeservedly) gave me 4 stars for location and value. My question is: why do 4 stars in 2 out of 6 categories warrant an "overall experience" of 4 stars?? That defies the laws of mathematics. I've seen half stars on airbnb. In case I get a response to this message, I thank you in advance!

Hi @Eve83, I am just seeing your post (if you 'tag' users with the @ symbol a notification will be sent to them.) In case you didn't find an answer, the reason you received 4 stars overall is because the 'overall' rating is an entirely separate category. The guest selects a star rating for 'overall' which is totally independent of the other 5 subcategories. It can feel unfair but it is bound to happen as many guests don't fully understand how the Airbnb review system affects hosts (both physically and mentally!) Your reviews are absolutely glowing and your ratings are great, so really don't get caught up on the small numbers (Easier said than done, I know.)

Hi @Emilia42 ,

did I do it right? I don't even know how to tag. Sigh! Thank you so much for your response, Emilia! Indeed, guests are not necessarily aware of how the system works and how could they without airbnb seemingly making any effort to inform them?! Good heavens, so that particular lone "jackass" guest (excuse my French) actually decided to give me a 4 overall. He clearly didn't know what he was doing. Fortunately, I haven't had a single 4 star--- ten reviews later. You're absolutely right, such matters are inevitable for us hosts, regardless of how hard we try. I must let it go. Give me a year and I might manage :-).

Warm regards,

Eve

Naomi192
Level 5
Green Bay, WI

I wish I had read your response earlier, Emilia.  I just received a 3 star rating on cleanliness despite having all window sills/door jambs/doors dusted, switches sanitized and fingerprints removed, porcelain and chrome polished, etc, etc.  There was no mention of why I got only 3 stars....this coming from a woman who didn't so much as let me know when she had vacated, despite house rules and an email reminder.  I've had it.  I've been a rental manager for 30 plus years and I've never had problems with my residents, very grateful, considerate, kind, clean people.  Cant say the same for airbhb guests...and then we get financially and rating punished when we reject someone who is dishonest or who appears to be unsafe.  I'm done.  I'll honor my existing "guests" but I'm done booking new.  Not worth it in toooooo many ways.

Jake198
Level 1
Manjimup, Australia

I would as a guest like to know my star rating. If a host can see theirs why can't a guest? 

Naomi207
Level 1
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

Ive had a guest leave 4 stars for all sub categories and 1 star overall with no comment or criticism!  Clearly I would say they dont understand how the system works but how can you appeal?