Safety security concern

Jacqui54
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Safety security concern

Hi, I am fairly new to hosting (not quite a year) and have had a terrific time and met some great people. However, my current guest has been a problem since he tried to book and there were payment issues which he tried to make my problem. Then it was leaving luggage, then he'd booked the wrong day then it was the check in time.  Everything was an issue. He has been difficult and non responsive and I am very concerned about getting him out tomorrow.  I did not meet him when he arrived, but have just heard from the person who did let him in that he is not the person in the photo. I am so stressed about this! I asked him to upload a photo of himself before accepting the booking and now have this weird person arrived when I was not home and was shown in by my assistant.  I am here on my own. My husband is away this week. I contacted a previous host who had the same issues with him (including the check out) I want to call my security company to come and remove him tonight but where do I stand with this dishonest and difficult Airbnb guest if I turf him out? Please reply urgently. 

5 Replies 5
Amber159
Level 1
Narragansett, RI

Hi, this is my first week hosting and I am renting a bedroom out in my home where I live with my 2 small children and husband and a woman booked, I accepted and she informed me her 27 year old son would be staying instead of her.  I told her I’m uncomfortable with him staying unless he books under his name 

You don't have to accept a third party booking.  So you can tell the guest to cancel.  Or you can call Airbnb and ask them to cancel for you. 

If the guest goes on line and tells Airbnb that 'you' want to cancel then Airbnb will send an automated request to you and if you accept the cancellation then it will penalize you. 

So the guest either needs to cancel outright or you need to call and get it cancelled.  Don't accept a cancellation that indicates your listing is unavailable because of something on your end.

You might want to limit your listing to women and couples until you are more used to the platform.  You can do that because you live there. 

You can avoid dealing with third party bookings by prominently featuring NO THIRD PARTY BOOKINGS near the top of your listing.  In your HOUSE RULES  put that the booking guest MUST be present to check in and that others will not be admitted. 

Or, when discussing with the guest ask the question:  will you personally be staying?  Are you traveling alone or with a companion or group?  Ask this before you approve the stay.  If they say no to the first question or if the number of people on the reservation request does not match the answer to the second question, then decline the reservation and tell them to rerequest when the request is correct.  You can explain that the booking guest must check in and all guests must be declared upon booking, also that no visitors or other guests may enter at any time.

Jacqui54
Level 2

Airbnb doesn't allow or approve of Third Party bookings and advises you to get the person who wants to stay to load their profile and book directly.  From what I understand this is a legitimate reason to decline the booking.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Jacqui54  For the future, make sure your assistant has a photo of the guest who booked and contacts you immediately should that not be the person who shows up, before letting them into the home.

As for this booking, you say his check-out is tomorrow. Can you ask a friend or family member to come stay with you today and tonight so you're not alone there? Then, if he doesn't check-out on time tomorrow, have your security guy on call to enforce the check-out, or call the police. At that point, the guest would be trespassing.

Jacqui54
Level 2

Thank you Sarah. That's what I shall do.