Security Deposit Changes

Andrea2502
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Security Deposit Changes

Is there any way to call Airbnb?  We're new to hosting, and accidentally neglected to include a security deposit.  I've since fixed that, but we already have a reserved guest and although she's willing to pay a deposit, I can't figure out how to make that work through Airbnb.  Can anyone help?

12 Replies 12
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@Andrea2502 Here is a link to the policy you are looking for:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing

Unfortunately, it looks like no retroactive action can be taken for existing reservations. "The security deposit only applies to reservations booked after the changes are made; they don't retroactively apply to existing reservations. Security deposits can't be handled off-site in cash, as off-site payments are a violation of our terms."

You can always have the guest cancel the reservation on her end, then book her again soon after with the change in effect.

Hope this helps!

Daniel

Thank you!  Do you think they'll charge a fee?  In the rules it sounds like it depends on whether one has cancelled before--

Looks like your listing has a flexible cancellation, so there will be no fee whatsoever for anyone within the first 48hours of booking.

However, make sure that the guest cancels! This will not have any negative consequence on her record, but if you as the host cancel then it will impact your stats.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel1598 

"You can always have the guest cancel the reservation on her end":

No ! it is not the guests failure there is no security deposit attached and unless the "48 hours free cancellation"is in effect,  guest will loose money, depending on cancellation policy, but at least the Airbnb Guest Fees.

@Emiel1 Please read my comments above. They have addressed what you've mentioned.

@Emiel1 If you had gone to the actual listing, you would see the flexible policy. @Andrea2502 if it's been more than 48hours, there will be a forfeiture of the service fee for the guest.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Daniel1598 

(Your comments where out of sync with my posting, as it's all created in same minutes).

As stated before: It is not the guests problem or failure the host forgot to add a security deposit. Even if the guest could cancel with full refund within 48 hours or cancel otherwise, including also a refund of the Guest Service Fee (max 3 times a year), i would never ask to do this just for reason to "repair" my error. But most guests will refuse to do so anyway. The booked, they paided, they have a confirmed reservation. They are not going to reverse this.

@Emiel1 Perhaps we have had different experiences with guests. I feel that my past guests were cooperative, kind, and understanding enough to help fix a minor hiccup. I would do the same, as a guest, to help out a fellow host. Objectively speaking, you are correct. But I think a little flexibility to help each other out goes a long way. Airbnbers watch out for one another, no? Just my two cents.

In any case, @Andrea2502 I hope we don't get off on too much of a tangent here... Let me know if you need any other insights. Take care!

Emiel1
Level 10

@Andrea2502 

It is not possible, a security deposit is only attached to a reservation at time of booking, the amount must be set in the listing. It is also not allowed to handle it off-site ( https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing0 or charge the guest for this after booking is confirmed.

Best regards,

Emiel

Andrea2502
Level 1
Irvine, CA

Okay, thanks--

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Andrea2502  What you need to be aware of is that Airbnb doesn't actually take a security deposit- it is just there as something that could  be charged if a host claims that the guest has done damage.

Although they very recently sent out a very ambiguously worded email to hosts saying they might, at their discretion, hold a security deposit 48 hours before check-in for some guests and some listings. None of us can really figure out what this means, it's quite vague, but I suspect they might do that if a guest has a history of causing damage, or the host has made a lot of damage claims.