Security Deposit

Kevin1165
Level 2
Chesapeake Beach, MD

Security Deposit

How do I get a security deposit? I would like to charge my guests card with a security deposit before they check in, and release it after they check out. Is this possible?

6 Replies 6
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Kevin1165  Hey Kevin, here is the link that explains how to add a security deposit 

https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/59/how-do-i-add-a-security-deposit-to-my-listing

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kevin1165  No, you can't do it the way you'd like to. The security deposit option on Airbnb, which Kaylee posted the link to, is not actually held by Airbnb- it is only there as a warning to the guest that it could be charged if they do damage. But it may deter some guests from not being on good behavior. It's pretty important, if you are listing something worth a lot of money, with valuable things inside, that guests could destroy or damage, that you have your own homeowners' insurance to cover you.

Kevin1165
Level 2
Chesapeake Beach, MD

So what you are saying is that Airbnb there is a "security deposit option on Airbnb." Where do I find that. 

If it is not actually held, then you are saying Airbnb is trying to "fake" people out, just an idle threat on their part to try to trick people into being well behaved, not damage or steal valuables and property?

I'd say a lot of nefarious people would see through that thin veil.

Still confused, but thanks for responding.

@Kevin1165  Well, if you list a Security deposit, then you can claim against it. First to the guest, then if the guest refuses (actually, believe it or not, not all do, some pay up, especially if it's something relatively small, like paying for ruined sheets) you have to contact Airbnb, who will ask you for all kinds of proof. and may then agree to charge it to the guest or not.

Yes, it totally sucks. That's why some hosts prefer to deal with booking sites that do actually hold a security deposit. But some Airbnb hosts have reported here that they listed quite a hefty security deposit, and that it seems to put guests on good behavior. No guarantees, of course. 

I don't list a security deposit, as I only host 1 guest in my home and have never had anyone do damage, so I can't tell you where to find the option, but if you type it into the search on the Help pages in your hosting account, you should find out how to add it.

Thanks Sarah, that really clarifies it for me! 

Rowena29
Level 10
Australia

Hi @Kevin1165 

@Kaylee18  already provided you with a hyperlink about how to add the security deposit to your listing, but here's a step by step.

Go to your listing.

Select Pricing

Scroll down to Standard fees and charges

There is a section there for a security deposit.

I have a substantial security deposit on my vacation rental.

I know for a fact that for my listing,  whilst airbbnb doesn not withdraw the money from the guests account, they DO ensure that there are sufficient funds available on the credit card to cover the security deposit.

Apparently this is not the case for all listings - I have no idea how airbnb decides this, but it seems likely when the deposit if large and/or if the listing is for a whole house.

I personally have found the deposit a great  way of ensuring great behaviour in my home ( so far).

Working on the principle that prevention is far better than cure, this is one of the tools that i employ to try to discourage guests considering doing the wrong thing - eg having a party, bringing extra guests.

I"ve never attempted to make a claim - and as @Sarah977  notes various hosts have reported great difficulty getting any satisfaction re this.  However others have reported success ( and you tend to hear the bad stories over the good on these boards)

I also have comprehensive landlords insurance for short term rentals.  amongst other things it gives me 20 million public liability insurance which is considered the minimum necessary in Australia. The airbnb host guarantee, only covers you for up to 10 million for public liablity I believe.

Hope that's of some help

REgards