Security breach

Security breach

I have had an ongoing issue with a security breach within the Airbnb email system. 10 of my guests have been receiving unsolicited emails to their Airbnb email address seemingly from me, but not from me. They are being bombarded with emails. It is a major security breach from with Airbnb. My guests are understandably unhappy. Customer Service consistently say the security team will contact me and they never do, meanwhile my guests are still receiving these emails.

Due to Airbnb not responding to this breach I now don't know where to turn for help. Can anyone recommend legal representation for me  - I am in the UK, can I take it to Trading Standards, do I have a case for breach of security? What other legal organisations or ombudsmen could I turn to? 

In desperation.

Eugenie

3 Replies 3
Trevor243
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Eugenie20Are your guests receiving emails to their proper email addresses, or are they receiving messages into their AirBnB inboxes?

It could be that you have a virus on your computer. A virus can scan your computer and find email addresses anywhere on your computer and then send spam to those email addresses. If you have saved any email addresses from guests, a virus can find them.

Make sure to scan your computer for any viruses - check for and remove any browser plugins as some are "bad" - and also change your AirBnB logins.

If you don't know how to scan and clean viruses etc, find a computer shop - they can do it for you - not expensive, but will give you the peace of mind that your computer is clean and if the problem continues, at least you can be sure it's not caused by you.

Hi Trevor, thank you so much for your response. I have done all the above, I have established the time period the breach occurred and who of my guests it is happening to and will continue to happen to until they are given new Airbnb email addresses. The issue is from within Airbnb but I am powerless to solve it as it is them who need to change the email addresses.

The customer service from Airbnb is absolutely shocking!

Thank you for your help.

Eugenie

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Have you tried them on Twitter and FB @Eugenie20