Security deposit

Eleonora87
Level 1
Lombardy, Italy

Security deposit

Hello,

I would like to know how I can verify, if the security deposit, added on my lists, will be managed by Airbnb. Thanks.

2 Replies 2
Jack90
Level 6
Queensland, AU

Hi Eleonora,

Airbnb doesn't actually take the security deposit when they receive payment from the guest. However, they will hold onto the guests payment details for I believe 14? days after their stay, where during that period you can request payment for any damages. The amount for the security deposit you set really doesn't mean much unfortunately from my experience. Best method is deterrance!

Good luck,

Jack

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Also, @Eleonora87, be aware that the security deposit will only be touched by Airbnb for proven, documented damage and repairs. You cannot use it to penalize guests for breaking house rules. Some hosts state that if a guest smokes in their no-smoking listing, there is a several hundred dollar penalty. But Airbnb will never collect this, so it is not enforceable. A host may hire a company to do a smoke and smell cleanup, and this could lead to a reimbursement from the security deposit, usually less than $100. This is the way the security deposit works. It is hard to get compensation, and leads to frustrations for many hosts.