early check in

Gabrielle3
Level 1
Ballarat, Victoria

early check in

Hi, I have a guest wanting to check in at 9am instead of the usual 2pm.  Should i charge them extra?

6 Replies 6
Pasek0
Level 4
Ubud, ID

Up to you...

If they're staying for a week or 2 then, personally, I'd be inclined to offer an early check in for free.

However, if the booking is only for a couple of days then I'd charge something because, effectively, that means you can't accept a guest for the previous night.

The other option we offer is the opportunity to drop off their bags early and then they can go shopping or go to an art gallery, cafe etc and come back at 2pm for the check in - that's assuming you can be there at both 9am and 2pm!

Carrie0
Level 3
New York, United States

i would not charge extra if my schedule allows it.  i think as a host it makes no difference if the room is already available, but as a traveler it could be a big relief to be able to drop off the luggages upon arrival.

it is really up to you whether to charge or not.  

Hugh0
Level 10
Sydney, Australia

Gabrielle

I like your thinking. Recently, I arrived early at a serviced apartment in Hong Kong. As the apartment was ready, I asked if I could check in straight away. I was told that I could but I would be charged for half a day. At first I was shocked, but after thinking about it, it is not an unreasonable proposition. I have heard that Airbnb is preparing options for additional charges for additional services. This could be one of them.

As for guests requesting an early check-in, I suggest you only do it if the apartment is ready and if it is convenient for you. I can't count the number of times guests have requested this then arrived after the regular check-in time. Also, guests rarely comment in reviews to say thank you for the early check-in.

By all means you should charge a fee for early check-in.  Why would you give away for free your accommodation for part of the time and charge a fee for the rest of the time?  AirBnB should have early check-in as part of it's amenities list.  

Early check-in as an amenity is a disaster waiting to happen.

Wendy-and-Frank0
Level 10
Stonington, CT

No.

I think of the dozens and dozens and dozens of hotels I've stayed in where I arrived early.  They always let me check in and they never charged me.

Don't nickel and dime your guests to death.  If the room is ready, let them have it.  If it isn't, tell them to wait.

When guests check out early, do you refund them part of their stay?

I didn't think so.