Security deposit

Answered!
Hanisah0
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Security deposit

Hi, may I know what is the security deposit for? Do guests have to pay for the security deposit on making a booking? Please advice, Thanks

1 Best Answer
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Hanisah0,

Some hosts set a security deposit so that they can make a claim to Airbnb if a guest causes damage.

Airbnb does not charge the guest the deposit when booking. If a host makes a claim and Airbnb agrees that damage is to be paid for then they charge the guest.

how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits?

what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit?

Adding-a-Security-Deposit-a-Community-Help-Guide

Steve.

View Best Answer in original post

45 Replies 45
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Hanisah0,

Some hosts set a security deposit so that they can make a claim to Airbnb if a guest causes damage.

Airbnb does not charge the guest the deposit when booking. If a host makes a claim and Airbnb agrees that damage is to be paid for then they charge the guest.

how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits?

what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit?

Adding-a-Security-Deposit-a-Community-Help-Guide

Steve.

Hi there Steve,

Thanks for responding. I was told that the amount of security deposit shown on the listing will be put on hold on guest's credit card till 14 days after guest checks out, like how some hotels do when you check in. Is that right?

Hello @Hanisah0,

Before the last answer I searched for references to Airbnb putting a hold on a guest's credit card but couldn't find any.

With further searching now I found it in section 8 "financial terms for guests" of the payments terms payments_terms.

Section 8.2 says

"When you request to book a Listing, Airbnb Payments may also (i) obtain a pre-authorization via your Payment Method for the Total Fees"

Section 8.3 says when it will be released in case of cancellation. I can't find when it will be released when the guest stays.

"Total Fees" is defined in the general terms as

"All applicable fees, including the Listing Fee, Security Deposit (if applicable), Guest Fee and any applicable Taxes (collectively, “Total Fees”) "

So yes, Airbnb gives themselves the option to put a hold for  the security policy.

Steve.

Hello Steve,

May I also ask what is the procedure in case a host wants to make a claim of the security deposit? Airbnb do not provide  even a contact e mail - do you have one? Who do I inform in Airbnb?

Thank you

Nicolas

Hello @Nicolas309,

Just click on "Help" and then on "Security deposits". You'll then see an article titled "What do I do if my guest breaks something in my place?". That explains the procedure for making a claim on the security deposit you have set. It must be done within 14 days of a guest's checkout and before the next guest checks in.

There is no contact email for Airbnb customer services.

Type "contact airbnb" in the "Search for anything" box at the top of these forum pages where you posted your question.

Suggestions will appear as you type. Click on the "Contact Airbnb: A Community Help Guide[UPDATED]" for ways to contact them.

You can also click on "Help" and then on "Visit the help centre" and then on "contact us". there you can click on "Call us"to see a phone number or on "message us" to send a message.

Steve.

Aogán0
Level 7
London, United Kingdom

The simple answer is no. I'm not even sure it should be called a deposit, as Airbnb do not take the money until such time as a claim is made.... There are numerous other threads on here decrying the so-called 'deposit'. I hope I don't have to make a claim, I have to say.

Hanisah0
Level 1
Johor Bahru, Malaysia

Hi Aogan,

So regardless of whether i set an amount for the security deposit or not, guests do not have to pay the extra amount for the deposit which will be released 14 days after check out then?

Truth. I had a guest trash my house, and airbnb told me that they do not put a hold on the guests account. The guest evidently canceled their card or doesn't have funds to pay, so when I put in the resolution request, I got $0. So the so called "security deposit" is a fantasy.  It is unenforceable. It serves to scare good guests,  but bad guests can just ignore it and get away with it. Airbnb told me that I could feel good because "that guest will not get to use airbnb anymore".

Good for airbnb, but bad for the host who has to absorb the cost of damages themselves. Airbnb actually suggested to me that I take my own security deposit myself because then I could actually collect it in cases airbnb does not enforce. For example, smoking in a non-smoking house or pets in a no-pet house. Airbnb WILL NOT collect security deposit for breaking house rules like this. 

"Airbnb actually suggested to me that I take my own security deposit myself because then I could actually collect it in cases airbnb does not enforce."

Interesting, Shanna. So do you know how a host would go about collecting (and then presumably returning) this deposit? 

Would you need to list under house rules, meet the guest and collect cash and then return upon check-out and successful inspection?

@Shanna5 wrote:

Truth. I had a guest trash my house, and airbnb told me that they do not put a hold on the guests account. The guest evidently canceled their card or doesn't have funds to pay, so when I put in the resolution request, I got $0. So the so called "security deposit" is a fantasy.  It is unenforceable. It serves to scare good guests,  but bad guests can just ignore it and get away with it. Airbnb told me that I could feel good because "that guest will not get to use airbnb anymore".

Good for airbnb, but bad for the host who has to absorb the cost of damages themselves. Airbnb actually suggested to me that I take my own security deposit myself because then I could actually collect it in cases airbnb does not enforce. For example, smoking in a non-smoking house or pets in a no-pet house. Airbnb WILL NOT collect security deposit for breaking house rules like this. 

AirBnB terms do not allow you to collect a security depoist.

David

I would also like to know how I can collect the security deposit myself as Airbnb doesn't seem to be taking the concept seriously at all.

@Jonathan547

You would need to use a different platform, VRBO whatever.

David

They never pay out anything anyway, my experience is that the resoultion team staff are rude and condescending.  Someone should tell them it is not their money.  This should not be in their control.

After more than three years and 150 bookings I had a guest that spilled wine on bed covers and pillows and lampshades and generally made a mess.  I followed procedures, contacted guest with documented photos and costs for replacements.  After the proscribed time when the guest had not replied through the resolution center, I applied to AirBnB and they promptly paid me for the replacements (about $300) that I requested.  I had no security deposit in my listing.  I'm not sure how the security deposit works on the customer's end.