Self check in /lockbox code

Kara39
Level 1
Traverse City, MI

Self check in /lockbox code

When selecting self check in, airbnb automatically opened a place to enter lockbox instructions. Can guests see this right when they book? I am only wanting them to have it a few days before check in. Right now I feel like I can't change the code regularly because I don't know if guests already have the current code.

Thanks!

21 Replies 21
Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

I did not enter the actual code in that box. I copied the text from my house manual which says that guests will be messaged the code using the AirBnB messaging system on check-in day. If you feel that too many people know the current code, you SHOULD change it and message the new code to guests as the check in. As a matter of practice, I change my code between every guest and I also make it a number that is familiar to the guest but would not be easy for someone else to guess. That way it is easier for the guest to remember and they are aware that the code is uniquely theirs.

@Kara39

@Scott80 spells it out perfectly - and a good unique code that lasts just as long as each booking is to use the last 4 digits of the main guest cell/mobile number. That helps you to keep track of it as well without having to write more numbers down against guests names. Program it in the day of the booking - and emai the guest before if you like - just inform them that the code will not activate until check-in time.

Best Wishes.

How do you get access into airbnb to change the code? I dont see where the option to do that is. 

THank you!

Hi Lisa, Did you ever learn how to do this? I have the same issue and haven't found out how to access it now!

I have the same problem. I used to be able to change it, but no longer can 😕

Solution found!
Oddly, I can only do this on my mobile phone, but not on my laptop. Here are a couple of screenshots. Hopefully, Airbnb will make this more user-friendly.

Airbnb1.jpgAirbnb2.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I seriously don't know why they make this so difficult to find on the desktop app. People ask me for the code all the time and I don't even know where to direct them. I don't want to text it to them as I want it only available to them while they are a guest. Now I know to direct them to the check-in instructions. Again, Thank you!

Is there a way to set reminders in AirBnb to send the unique code to our guessts? For me, I email a code to access the lockbox to retrieve the keys for the length of their stay. Then they are sent another code to access the box to replace the keys. But with so many coming and going, it would be nice to set a reminder like the pending reservation requests...

@Keith146, some smart locks that integrate with AirBnB handle sending the codes to the guests for you. If you search on this board for "Smark lock" or in google for "AirBnB smart lock" you can find some different options.

Some smart locks do very little (you have the set the code manually each time in person), some do a lot (everything is automated and you can control them remotely).

When Airbnb sends the reminder email that Guest is arriving I send them an email and a walkthrough video that I created, as well as reminding them the Airbnb will send them a itinerary email 4 days prior to their arrival.  I then tell them I’ll send them the code at the designated check in time, and if they don’t receive the email or the code to please contact me. 

Hi Scott! I hope this message finds you well. What type of lockbox do you reccomend purchasing?

Sebastian237
Level 1
San Diego, CA

@Keith0 I host in airbnb and have a team that developed software that delivers reservation specific (unique) codes to guests automatically to a remote lock that doesn't require internet or power (it does require batteries) manufactured by schillage. I had a smart lock but lost internet connection once and it was a mess as I was not ready to hand deliver a key to the guest that day. 

We are not commercially available yet but would love to have feedback from other hosts if anyone wants to try it out.

As a disclaimer, I'm a host that happens to have a technology background that developed a solution to a problem I am having with my own rental because I don't believe it has been properly addressed. 

Very interested [email address hidden]

Tell me more about your product. Currently, I'm using a Masterlock product.