Self confirmation

Carol5120
Level 1
Western Australia, Australia

Self confirmation

I have just had a guest do a self confirmation booking, the phone number is made up out of 000 and 111 the email address is also very dodgy, aiabnb must Have proved them why if these 2 items are clearly wrong. I am concerned that it’s a fack booking or I’m going to get a squatter staying.

can someone please assist me here as Airbnb don’t seem to a have contact number to call. The booking is in 2 weeks. 

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Carol5120 

You can contact Airbnb (phone number is in the link) and ask them to cancel penalty free:

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Carol5120
Level 1

Thank you but I have been assured it’s a  legitimate booking. I’m new to this so really wasn’t sure about how it all works thanks For  getting back to me

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have your listing set so that only guests with verified photo ID can book and that only guests with profile photos can book.

If not change your settings.

You can ask guests to let you know why they chose your place and plans for your stay to help you decide if they are a good fit. @Carol5120 

You can also remove Instant book so you can vet guests before accepting a booking until you are more familiar with how Airbnb works.

Carol5120
Level 1

I went to do this but Aiabnb notification said by doing this my place would not be highlighted on there sight. And I really need to have this place recanted our as much as possible so I left it as is. 

from you experience is this correct 

@Carol5120  Airbnb tries to force hosts to use Instant Book by placing IB listings higher in search rankings, yes, that is true. But getting more bookings won't help you at all if they are bookings from guests who make you uncomfortable or abuse your hospitality.

Many, many hosts do not use Instant Book and they still get bookings. I have never used instant book. Some hosts have used it and then turned it off because they were getting bad guests through it and want more control over who they accept. Dn't ever let Airbnb pressure you to do something you're not comfortable with. They aren't concerned with whether you get bookings, they are only concerned about their profits.

You will get a boost for awhile in search rankings simply because you have a new listing.

Look at the large pinned post on the first page of this hosting forum "Contact Airbnb" scroll down until you find the phone numbers. I would advise you to contact Airbnb and tell them you feel uncomfortable with this reservation, as the guest has no valid phone number, and wish to cancel it without any penalties. Did this guest even bother to send you any message? If not, I would for sure cancel, doesn't sound like a good risk.

You don't ever see a guest's real email address, nor does the guest see yours. Email addresses are coded on Airbnb, that's why it looks weird. But if you email to taht coded email address, it will show up on the guest's regular email Inbox.

And turn off Instant Book until you become a more experienced host. You can always turn it back on later if you want.

Carol5120
Level 1

Thank you