Service fees are uneven for new and existing accounts

Answered!
Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

Service fees are uneven for new and existing accounts

Firstly - it's funny how Airbnb designs and keeps discussions inside their own platform, so that it would be manageable and won't get anywhere out to keep the reputation secure.

Secondly - the way service fees are calculated looks like a scam (pardon, loophole). For me, as someone who've travelled a lot and used service on a daily bases, fees are higher for no apparent reason, than for someone with new account (attached screenshot, showing same property, same dates, same minute of booking attempt to illustrate the issue).

Asked support to comment that - no response so far.

Please explain the difference.

IMG-20220317-WA0005.jpg

1 Best Answer
Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

Tiny update from Airbnb Support team regarding my question about those uneven fees.

To sum up - apparently uneven fees are a mystery. No one from Support Team knows why "system" generates it like it does. "The only information that was cascaded" to them is that "it is system generated". 
____

Too many "system" references. System is build by people who made a decision > instructed subordinates > subordinates executed the decision.

So there is still no concrete answer to the main question, but it feels like Product Heads of Airbnb are the one who knows it.

I wonder if it's even legal to vary prices like that? 

**[Private conversation removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Darya32 I guess they are incentivising new guests. Does it really matter for $3?

You are right it doesn't. I just want to understand the exact "why" behind this difference. If there is none and it's just a way for the company to earn more money out of thin air exactly because noone gonna stress out this $3 extra - then I want to raise the awareness of that fact.

Think of this $3 extra randomly applied as a service fee in a year scale.

Just want to things to be fair and transparent.

Oh and btw extra fees were applied to existing account, not new one

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Darya32  I've heard guests are charged different service fees but not why.  Here's what Airbnb say in their help article (emphasis mine):

Guest fee

Most guest service fees are under 14.2% of the booking subtotal (nightly rate + cleaning fee + additional guest fee, if applicable—excluding Airbnb fees and taxes). This fee varies based on a variety of factors and is shown during checkout before you book so you know what to expect.

Illuminating?  Nope.  Just proves there's a loophole! 😂 😭

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Darya32 is it different between the app and the website?

Difference is between my account with travel history and fresh new account without any on the website.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Darya32 

There is a difference in fees on the app and on the website.

You picture shows 1 booking on the website and the other one on the app.

Also 1 is on spanish (?) Airbnb website, the other one on english site

It can make a difference in VAT percentage applied (Fees are subject to VAT)

Please show us pictures were exactly SAME parameters are used to make a booking, from comparable accounts (same region, same local platform).

@Emiel1 

Sure. Here you go. 

Same dates, same apartment, same everything, except for accounts.

Higher fees are applied to old accounts. So my only question is why. Just want to acknowledge, if there is a logical explanation for it.

Screenshot 2022-03-19 at 19.36.34.png

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Darya32  No, I don't think there is any explanation, aside from algorithms businesses use which track your searches and history.

I have definitely read this before, it's been going on for years. A husband and wife, sitting at the same table, each on their own laptop, both using the same browser, looking at the same listing, showing different prices. One a new account, the other not.

@Sarah977  yeah, I've heard that before as well and just recently noticed that same thing happening to me.

I wonder, why are we so easy on such things? Surely 3 additional dollars won't make any difference for an individual particularly, but if this 3 extra bucks are going to become Airbnb CEO's extra pocket money - I definitely object. Charging extra $3 for donation purposes + being transparent about it - would be happy to do it. 

Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

Tiny update from Airbnb Support team regarding my question about those uneven fees.

To sum up - apparently uneven fees are a mystery. No one from Support Team knows why "system" generates it like it does. "The only information that was cascaded" to them is that "it is system generated". 
____

Too many "system" references. System is build by people who made a decision > instructed subordinates > subordinates executed the decision.

So there is still no concrete answer to the main question, but it feels like Product Heads of Airbnb are the one who knows it.

I wonder if it's even legal to vary prices like that? 

Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

The issue haven't been resolved.

People from Support keep on referring to some mysterious "system" and "algorithms".  Nobody knows what is the logic behind those fees calculation and on request to connect to someone who have the answer they just bail on you.

Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

Darya32
Level 2
Minsk, Belarus

And this is the latest discovery of, again, uneven fees...Screenshot 2022-04-03 at 23.48.20.png