Sketchy reservation

Dean175
Level 2
Vilano Beach, FL

Sketchy reservation

We are fairly new to hosting (May 2019). Please correct me if I’m wrong...

AirBnB requires a confirmed  email and phone number, an introductory message and agreement to our house rules and payment info. Is that Correct?

Here is our problem...we received a request to book, which we accepted. The guest said he was having trouble loading his photo. I had read earlier that a guest can go back and add their photo, so I wasn’t too concerned. 

I accepted the reservation and sent our acceptance note and followed up with a note asking if he had read our rules.  No response.  I sent a copy of our rules, no response!  I waited several days for a photo update but nope! I wondered if his profile slipped through the cracks because his profile only contains his phone number. It doesn’t say government identification, email, and of course no photo. I reached out again this morning asking him to confirm my earlier messages and asked him to be prepared to show ID. I also asked for his companions name. Still no response! 

My questions are whether or not it is appropriate to ask for ID when they arrive? Is there a way to cancel without taking a hit? We are Super Hosts and don’t want to lose that! Our accommodation is separate from our house with only the front porch as shared space, so safety isn’t a huge concern. I actually accepted the reservation in error, I’d meant to ask questions first but I hit accept. Bummer:)

4 Replies 4
Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Dean175 I'd call CS and get them on this. Tell them that info is missing.

Yes, get ID of all guests - ABB will never share the real, actual info with you. Anything in an ABB profile can say ANYTHING!!!

I took your advice and thank you. AirBnb too k care of it for us. Thank you again

Dean175
Level 2
Vilano Beach, FL

I’m ashamed to say that I have no idea how to contact CS.

Dean175
Level 2
Vilano Beach, FL

Sent Airbnb a message. Thanks for your help