Smoking issue

Answered!
Eun-Sil1
Level 2
Queensland, AU

Smoking issue

Hi, 

I have been hosting three guests since 1st of Feb. They are staying at home all day, but, it is ok for me. However, my concern is their smoking.

Luckily they don't smoke inside the house, but, they smoke in the pergola nearly all day. 

As I am not a smoker, I am susceptible to the smell of smoking. I used to host several smokers in the past, but, they went out all day and rarely smoked at home. Even if they stayed at home, nobody smoked like my present guests. 

Brisbane is very hot, but, I have to close to all doors and windows because of smoking smell.

The guests will stay for five more days. If I can ask them to leave earlier than their reservation, I am willing to do that. 

Could you please give me any wisdom or solution for this situation?

1 Best Answer
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Eun-Sil1

They say when making your rules, write them to cover the worst case scenario. You know, plan for the worst but hope for the best. In this case, your rules are not clear enough, or you need to make them.

As I cannot see your listing or the house rules,  you might need to consider the following:

- do you state no smoking in your listing?

- if no smoking in your listing, do you reinforce the rule? Guest folder/ signage? Mention it on arrival/check in?

- can guests smoke anywhere or somewhere that would be satisfactory to your needs?  

A.  If not then you need to word your listing correctly.  

B.   If yes, then specify this spot only, reinforce it.

🙌🏼

i do not allow smoking inside or any of the nearby perimeters, including courtyards and decking areas. The next guests could have allergies.

I can’t stand the smell rising into my living space. But I do however provide a garden bench and an external ashtray in the far corner of my yard. It has an organic sign on the tree “smokers corner”. This way, something is available, but I do not have to contend with medical concerns of future guests, smoke, stench or heavier cleaning. 

I state:

“To maintain a fresh and healthy environment, this is a strict non-smoking premise. This includes e-cigarettes. The openness of the elevated house causes cigarette smoke/vapour to drift. If you feel a need to smoke, there is one spot in the far corner of the yard that has been made available for use.”

Choose some wording that works for you. If you have rules, enforce them. If you have no rules, it’s a bit hard to throw them out..... otherwise, I would certainly have a conversation with them to see if you can make a compromise.

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Hi @Eun-Sil1

They say when making your rules, write them to cover the worst case scenario. You know, plan for the worst but hope for the best. In this case, your rules are not clear enough, or you need to make them.

As I cannot see your listing or the house rules,  you might need to consider the following:

- do you state no smoking in your listing?

- if no smoking in your listing, do you reinforce the rule? Guest folder/ signage? Mention it on arrival/check in?

- can guests smoke anywhere or somewhere that would be satisfactory to your needs?  

A.  If not then you need to word your listing correctly.  

B.   If yes, then specify this spot only, reinforce it.

🙌🏼

i do not allow smoking inside or any of the nearby perimeters, including courtyards and decking areas. The next guests could have allergies.

I can’t stand the smell rising into my living space. But I do however provide a garden bench and an external ashtray in the far corner of my yard. It has an organic sign on the tree “smokers corner”. This way, something is available, but I do not have to contend with medical concerns of future guests, smoke, stench or heavier cleaning. 

I state:

“To maintain a fresh and healthy environment, this is a strict non-smoking premise. This includes e-cigarettes. The openness of the elevated house causes cigarette smoke/vapour to drift. If you feel a need to smoke, there is one spot in the far corner of the yard that has been made available for use.”

Choose some wording that works for you. If you have rules, enforce them. If you have no rules, it’s a bit hard to throw them out..... otherwise, I would certainly have a conversation with them to see if you can make a compromise.

Hi @Cathie19

Your advice is awesome. Especially I would like to adapt your state. Could I copy yours and use for my guest? If I have a clear state to the guest, they may consider more and be wise to smoking.

Love your help.

Cheers,

Eun-Sil

@Eun-Sil1. Go for it! Just note my space is an elevated house, so make the appropriate dwelling changes.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Eun-Sil1

RIght now they are obeying your rules - you need to toughen them up and say No Smokers period! or be very clear as to where they are allowed to smoke. So I agree with @Cathie19 suggestions.

Be wary of cancelling as AirBnB will probably give them a full refund on their stay as you are asking them to leave unfairly.

To save hassle and stress you could just say, sorry, too much smoking, not their fault but it's not working and you offer them a full refund for the hassle of asking them to move. You need to give them time to find somewhere else of course. If you want to go this route, speak to AirBnB first...and do everything on the platform.

You may just find the agree to stop smoking as much, or move somewhere else you suggest, but your review may be pretty poor. 

Good luck...

Hi @Gerry-And-Rashid0

Thank you. 

Because of this stressful circumstance, I truly want to block for a few weeks to refresh the air from smoking. 

Since this kind of extreme experience, I will update my listing only for a non-smoker or never allow to smoking at my premises.

Cheer,

Eun-Sil

Maria1064
Level 2
Indianapolis, IN

Simple, as has been stated put in your house rules no smoking anywhere on the property.

Hi @Maria1064

In the beginning, I thought a smoker has a right to smoke. Since then, I had no problems at all except this time. Now I have learned from the mistake. 

Now freedom for a smoker, and always me first.

Cheers,

Eun-Sil

I wish it were that simple! We clearly state that we don’t rent to smokers and just this morning I had to explain to a guest that he couldn’t smoke in our patio. He had no idea. He hadn’t read the house rules and didn’t seem to care. He is staying in a room with brand new furnishings and now I will have to block future reservations until the room airs out and do extra cleaning. Even though they are not smoking in their room the smell lingers and it can be smelled outside of their room.

I also clearly stated my place is non-smoking, not even on the balcony.  However,  in the past I suspected two guests had smoked inside the unit.  It smells like a mixture of smoke and air freshener and they left a lighter.

So I ordered two no smoking & no vaping decals to place them inside the unit as well as outside the balcony. So far so good.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Eun-Sil

Suck it up, and as @Gerry-And-Rashid0@Cathie19 have said tighten up you house rules, no point in rocking the boat now.

Yes, I should make a strict house rule regards smoking, and print it out and display on several places including indoor and our door.

Cheers,

Cormac

Mark3534
Level 2
Hudson, NY

I had a guy trash my place - left garbage EVERYWHERE. Did not take it out . Did not put dishes in dishwasher. Smoked and left empty pack of cigarettes in a glass of water on coffee table as if to say " Ha Ha." Place smelled so bad of smoke that the next guest canceled when she walked in. I lost a guest for four night because of this guy (and his friends). This has never happened before. What can I do?

Mark3534
Level 2
Hudson, NY

And yes, "No Smoking" was part of the house rules.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Sorry you hosted a disrespectful pig. You can try to charge him for extra cleaning, but it's highly doubtful he'll pay, so I think you're just gonna have to eat this one.

And if the place smelled so badly of smoke that couldn't be removed before the next guest's check-in, I would have contacted that guest to explain the situation, apologize, and offer her a full refund if she chose not to stay rather than let her arrive to find it so bad.

But what you definitely should do is write a honest review to warn other hosts and leave 1*s across the board so he can't Instant Book anything. You can also report him to Airbnb.

@Mark3534