Stealing, trash and generally poor guests

Beach-Laws0
Level 2
Norfolk, VA

Stealing, trash and generally poor guests

Hello All- 

I was looking for some advice! We just recently (Dec. 2019) started hosting our whole home. WE have had a collection of wonderful guests however, recently had several guests leave the home trashy- (literally with bags of stuff everywhere), move furniture and just had a guest check in that let us know that our pack n play we provide was gone- apparently stolen by a previous guest. Any suggestions on how to dissuade this? We are raising the nightly rate and have a security deposit but anything else we need to do ? 

Thank you for your help! 
Ashley 

10 Replies 10

@Beach-Laws0  As a new host, you might not yet be aware of this: Airbnb doesn't actually charge the security deposit to the guests. It's a placebo for hosts, not an actual thing.

Your listing doesn't currently have any checkout instructions in the House Rules, so if you have any expectations for how the property should be left, you might want to add them there in a concise way. During check-in, you can reinforce that with specific details such as where guests should dispose of their trash. Under normal circumstances, an in-person checkout appointment would be an option available to you, but it may not be compatible with social distancing. Even so, it's important to do a thorough inspection and take inventory between guests; if you only find out from the next guest that something's gone missing, it's too late to do anything about it.

Thank you for that info! I have them in house manual in the house but I should list them on our listing also. Thank you again!

@Beach-Laws0   Have whomever cleans the place, either you or your cleaners do a video walk through before each guest arrives, this will prove that things like the pack/play were there on X date and gone by X date, it also protects you from guests who make false statements about cleaniness or that various amenities were not available.  We use our phones for a quick walk through of the apartment then we delete the footage after the 14 day review period has passed if there are no issues. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Beach-Laws0  One thing I've found is that some guests think it's okay to leave a mess and some just naturally clean up after themselves. As Andrew said, it's important to make your "please do before check-out" expectations clear, but even so, some people don't even seem to realize what consitutes clean and tidy and other people would never leave a place in a bad state even if there weren't any instructions provided. In my experience it tends to balance out. I've had guests who cleaned up so well that aside from the used towels hanging up neatly and the used bedding, you wouldn't think anyone had been in there since I cleaned. And others who couldn't seem to manage to gather up the bits of garbage all over and put them in the bin, or rinse out their empty beer bottles so they didn't attract a trail of ants.

It's kind of part and parcel of hosting, but if it's over the top dirty requiring hours more cleaning or they've ruined things, then you could charge for extra cleaning time or damages if you feel it's worth it. Otherwise just call out their disrespect in the review and ratings.

Don't be shy about writing honest reviews to warn other hosts of bad guests so they don't just get passed around from host to host, leaving disaster zones wherever they go. And be aware that hosts who don't use Instant Book can't access a guest's star ratings, so it's important to be honest in the written review as well. If you give them 2*s for cleanliness, but the review you write just says "Nice guests", because you can't bear to tell it like it is, they'll be on to trashing someone else's place next.

But do be careful how you word things- if you outright accuse a guest of theft, the review could be removed- if you say "There were several items missing after these guests checked out", you're just stating fact.

Thank you for your advice! I know that it will be a spectrum of guests and the one guest that we had left the house in poor shape we did leave an honest review. I hope this evens out over time! Thank you! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Beach-Laws0 

When you have guests check out you, your local co-host or cleaner (whichever arrangement you have in place) should be checking to make sure no major items have been stolen or damaging such as the pack and play equipment you mention, so you can make a claim against the guest.

In terms of your check out instructions, don't just have them in your guest book, I also have mine laminated and stuck to the fridge and send a check out message the night before as a reminder and confirmation of the check out time.

Personally I also vet guests before they book in terms of reasons for choosing my place and purpose of their stay to help ensure there is a good fit.

Thank you! The check out instructions on the fridge is a good idea and I will cue my cleaners to walk through regularly. 

@Helen3  I have found  the night before message that reminds of check out time and what to do/where to leave things works really, really well.  

Kimberly735
Level 2
North Carolina, United States

@Mark116  and @Helen3 Hi. Newbie here. Do you put your full list of check out instructions in the night before message? Mine are not long, but just wondered. My first guests are due this week end...

TIA.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

As I mention above @Kimberly735 

I message guests with a reminder of check out instructions the night before and leave them on the fridge .