Stolen Mail?!

Summer83
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

Stolen Mail?!

I am still new at hosting and just received superhost status, which is super exciting.  I have had some issues with our last group that I’m not sure what to do about & am looking for some advice...

A woman booked months ago as a bride staying with her 7 brides maids for the night before, and the night of her wedding. She was friendly and communicative, but there are a few issues: 

1. The guests weren’t who she claimed. There were couples staying at the house, not 7 brides maids and a bride.

2. She asked for permission to stay with her dog, and I gave permission. But she actually brought two dogs and never said anything to me about it. 
3. They left a stained, ruined sheet on the master bed. 

4. I received a package from an online purchase containing 2 sweaters. The package was left on the door step & brought into the house by one of the male guests. Viewable on our “Ring” security camera. The next day after checkout, I found the package had been opened, one of the sweaters removed and then sloppily taped shut again. If it wasn’t for the security camera, I wouldn’t jump to conclusions and blame the guest... & I don’t have footage of the package being opened of course, but it’s pretty obvious what happened. (I checked with the company and they confirmed both sweaters were shipped in the same package)

I know, I know, we shouldn’t be receiving packages at the home while guests are there. But, UPS and Fedex don’t deliver to PO Boxes & the package arrived earlier than I expected. 

Any advice here? I’m torn because I don’t want to accuse the guest of something that I can’t prove 100%. I don’t think the bride who booked the reservation knows about any of this, it seems like she was hardly at the house at all herself. I don’t want to get a retaliatory bad review when she already told me in a message that she loved our place. 

Total loss with the sweater and the stained sheet is $75.00. Not to mention the extra dog, which I would have charged for (I allowed the one dog for free & free early check in)! I also went above and beyond leaving a small wedding survival kit for each of the brides maids & bride (8 total). Feels like a slap in the face overall but I don’t know if it’s worth going to bat over, or if I should just take some valuable lessons for the future and call it a day. 

She has not left a review yet, and neither have I. 

Any tips??

3 Replies 3
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Summer83 & welcome to ABB CC from across the miles in Auckland, New Zealand.

So sorry to read of your challenges.

No one needs theft of personal property in any shape or form, nor extra guest  without appropriate reimbursements.

Whilst it may not be the Bride's doing unfortunately she's the one who booked so is responsible.

Msg her through the msg system & confront her about her guests behaviours.

You are within your rights to ask for reasonable reimbursement of damage to property, ask for it through the resolution centre if necessary but ask the guest first & foremost.

In regards to the theft of the sweater, it's an unlawful act to open another person's mail.

You could ask the Bride the names of the Guests & ensure Police follow up on it for it's return.

All the best

Summer83
Level 2
Encinitas, CA

Thank you Helen, for the reply! 

After much thought, I have decided to do nothing. The reasons:

1- I cannot prove without any doubt that her guest opened my mail package & I think it's certain that the guest would deny any wrong doing and paint me as a paranoid home owner.

2- The stained sheet is a bummer, but I don't think the people who stained it realized what they had done. Being that it was an accident, is it really worth the 18$ to call them out?

3- The extra dog. This is the one thing which is not disputable that the guest knowingly did. Yes, there was extra hair on the wood floor. I will mention this in my review of her as a guest, but don't think any good will come of reaching out to charge her for it - except for perhaps encourage her to find reasons to nit-pick our home in the review.

*sigh* 

Maybe the problem is that I hate confrontation. But at this point, I only have 11 reviews, have just attained Superhost status, and don't want to pick a fight with a guest.

I have seen negative reviews on other listings from guests who were charged for damages after the fact, which they then disputed & used as a reason to leave a negative review of the host & I don't want to risk it. From what I have seen on the platform, there is not enough done to protect hosts from spurned guests who don't like being held accountable.

One week has passed and the guest has not written a review yet. I have not written one yet either as I have chosen to wait and think this through. 

Just my thoughts. Guess I will continue to live and learn through these experiences.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Summer83thanks for your reply.

I understand re confrontation, it's the way it's approached that makes a difference.

If you use related keywords in the search box here in CC you will find some helpful suggestions of how to write a review in such circumstances.

Whilst some things are better mentioned private others are of help for future Hosts to know about.

All the best