Stolen items

Answered!
Tim-And-Bev0
Level 2
Gallipolis, OH

Stolen items

Has anyone ever had a guest steal anything? I had a guest ( and it was all captured on security  camera from the parking lot) he stole a fishing rod and reel from another Airbnb guest. The process with Airbnb is kind of repetitive and I’m not getting very far. Anyone else have a problem ever such as this? If so, please let me know how it was handled and how long it took if you have this information. 

1 Best Answer
Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Tim-And-Bev0 
Did this get resolved satisfactorily?

View Best Answer in original post

18 Replies 18
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Tim-And-Bev0  The way to handle the case is through Resolution Center. You can use Request Money button from the guest booking confirmation to start the process.

After 72 hours, if no response from the guest, you will need to go to Resolution center and click the Involve Airbnb button. Within 2-3 days you will get a case manager assigned to you. Depending on the case manager and claim amount, a case could be handled in less than one day or more than weeks by the case manager.

When the requested amount is over $100, it could take long time to have it resolved. 

Ok. That makes sense. It’ll be 72 hours tomorrow so I’ll be ready for the involve Airbnb. And yes sadly it’s over $100. This helps. Appreciate the reply! 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If the guest stole from another guest I am not sure how you could make a claim as it is not your property @Tim-And-Bev0 

Surely it is up to your guest who had the stolen item to report it to the police if the guest who stole the item refuses to return it/compensate the guest.

Tim-And-Bev0
Level 2
Gallipolis, OH

Well it’s on our property and yes Airbnb are helping out with the matter. The guy did not know who it belonged too. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

That's interesting to know that Airbnb allow third party claims on it's Guarantee other than the host. Thanks for sharing this @Tim-And-Bev0 

Absolutely!  First real issue we have had in the 2+ years of having Airbnb.  

🙂

Tika7
Level 2
Miami, FL

Arrived after check out on Monday to find all 4 TVs missing and an array of trash traces of marijuana everywhere, guests literally smoked on the nightstands, 'no ashtrays, no problem'. I have been calling Airbnb since 11:30 am on Monday and yet to receive a call back of answer to my messages on this site. My lost is close to $2,000.00, we require a $300 security deposit for which I have no clue how to claim. Please don't even ask me about the police...Airbnb blocked the user and I have no way to communicate not that I believe he will answer. I desperately need help, we did this Airbnb nonsense for the obvious reasons, I never thought in a million years something like this would happen. In addition to the help I'm seeking, I also want to warn hosts in the Miami Dade, Broward, Manatee areas. Beware of last minute instant bookings and look for cell numbers with area codes 305, 786 & 941. For more details you can message me directly. Thank you in advance for ANY help.

Tika7
Level 2
Miami, FL

Correction: My loss is close to $2,000.00

JD29
Level 4
Titusville, FL

Yes, we had several towels stolen but more importantly one of the guests staying in Bedroom 3 (didn't not have so many) took a handmade quilt, which had a very sentimental value. Hoping that this item was inadvertently taken,  we still hope I'll see it back one day. How would you act? Would you contact each and every guest who stayed in that particular room and ask them? Thank you for your advice. Quilts 2014 Scallops 2.jpgQuilts 2014 Scallops.jpg

Hi @JD29 

Sorry for that. Don't ask, the guest won't tell you the truth or maybe most of them don't remember.

Try to clean yourself or make a personal deep look after every guest stay

Leave the mínimum sort of things at the guest room (one of each of the basics)

Do a listing and check every thing is there no broken.

If you see anything, ask for Money for it. Of course, with a polite comment asking the guest what hapen to the thing XXX that was there when they arrived.

Good luck. Hope you find it!!

Thank You for your reply. I have doubts about which one of the guests that stayed in that room but no proof. You're right it's better to move on.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@JD29 

Did you end up contacting the guests who stayed in your property when your home made Quilt went missing?
It may be an idea to still follow up on this with a message and or also check if they any Social Media accounts like Facebk, Instagram etc to scan through & see if it's included in any images they have since posted - often a great way to catch out crooks.

Take a copy if you find it, and follow it up with Police as they may well have also been involved in other cases of theft etc.

Think also of the next people they may be Guests at and how they would feel if they to were victims/ complainants of property....

@Helen427Thank you for your suggestion. I unfortunately decided to move on. I can always make another one.

@JD29  My pots and pans were missing. I ask the previous guest before the last guest whether they remember my unit provide pots and pan and they did remember. So I know who took it but when I ask the last guest, he just said he didn’t took. Well at least I know who took it 😕