Strange behaviour

Dawn47
Level 2
Irvine, United Kingdom

Strange behaviour

Hi folks - as a fairly new host, I'm looking for a bit of advice.  A guest checked in on Monday, all seemed ok.  This is her fourth day with me, and I'm feeling slightly uncomfortable.  She talks constantly (from the minute I get in from work until the minute I go to bed).  She has bought a thermometer for my fridge, as she feels it's too cold - she has now turned the fridge up a bit.  She has changed the bulb in one of my lamps, as she felt it was too dark.  And she is urging me to buy a remote controlled plug, to stop having my TV on standby.  When I go in to another room for something, she follows me and keeps talking.  Then this morning, I woke up to a note in the bathroom, asking me to fix the central heating , despite the fact I've explained there is a problem, and an engineer is coming out to see it tomorrow. 

Any suggestions on how to deal with this - I don't like confrontation so hoping to avoid any difficult circumstances.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2
Melanie33
Level 8
Ashcott, United Kingdom

Hi Dawn

I guess it depends how much longer she is with you.  If she is leaving soon then maybe say nothing but if she is a long term guest then you may have to have a conversation.  In my opinion she has no right to start messing with your fridge and bulbs etc.  I guess she may have a valid complaint about the central heating but it sounds like you have that in hand.  Maybe she is one of those people who talk constantly but never listen.

Only you know if you can put up with it all but if she is there for a while I would lay down some ground rules for your own sake.

Good luck

Mel

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Dawn47

Remind yourself again whose home it is. Oh your's?

Well, sounds like you'll have to remind er of that, esp. if she's staying longer than one or two days more. Otherwise she'll be reminding you of the chores you have to do by the end of one week's stay!

I once read in a hosting blog that even if you open your home up to share with guests, it their home does not make. She has certainly gone way overboard.

With some guests hosting becomes a practice in showing boundaries, and if you're not that good or practiced in doing that in an unemotional, calm way you can expect to come up repeatedly against guests treating you as a doormat. But only if you let them.

You might also re-consider using InstaBook until you have more experience. Not using it gives  more chance to vett guests and their plans/expectations. Just saying.

Good luck.