Strong smell

Laís2
Level 2
Amsterdam, NL

Strong smell

Hi everyone, I found similar threads but mostly after guests are gone. I have 4 male guests staying in a bedroom on the first floor of my house but the entire house (3 floors) started to smell like some sort of cologne, or deodorant. I live in an old dutch house and windows only open less than half-way so it's really hard for air to circulate properly. I've had some cases that we could smell a bit but this is crazy; there's no room in my house I can't smell it and my tongue tingles with the scent (I'm a bit allergic I suppose). I'm not sure what they are doing with it seems like they might be spraying it in the air. I can't imagine it would smell this much and for this long if it was just during use; maybe to masquerade the smell of smoke?! I'm in Amsterdam, so tourists come a lot for weed purposes.

They are not very polite, a bit of a snob  I'd say, and are not responsive to any messages I send them regarding any subject and we seem to be missing each other at home. How would you handle this situation in a polite manner? I cannot accuse them of smoking inside (which is against my house rules) if I can't smell anything rather than the cologne I think. At this point I'm afraid it will smell even when they leave and there's another check-in on the same date of their check-out. This will be terrible also for the new guests.

Thank you so much in advance for your advice!

2 Replies 2
Jackie237
Level 4
Hastings, United Kingdom

Sorry you're having this problem, I don't really know what to say. You could check outside the window to see if there are any cigarette butts on the ground. How long have they been staying there? 

Jackie237
Level 4
Hastings, United Kingdom

JUst had a thought, maybe you could post a note under the door to ask that they only use deodorant or aftershave in the bathroom as the whole house is starting to smell of chemicals. That way at least it will be confined to only one room. I don't know if this will work but you could also give AirBnB support a call to say you have  suspicions that they are smoking in the room but can't proove it unless you check the room out.