Studio apartment definition

Dario87
Level 2
Minneapolis, MN

Studio apartment definition

Hello,

We recently had an bad experience as guests in a studio apartment of host Joyce [Personal information hidden] and David [Personal information hidden] [Link hidden] that was dirty and falsely advertised (can one list a full bathroom if this is missing a sink, and is it fair to show a picture of a balcony overlooking the ocean when the apartment only has a small terrace overlooking a parking lot and buildings on all sides?).

All instances of uncleanliness and false advertisement were accurately documented with photos.

We opened a claim with the resolution center and three case managers in a row (Allen D., Kevin K. and DeAndre R.) dismissed our claim repeating the same justification: "The history does show the listing advertised as a studio."

Is listing an apartment as "studio" the loophole Airbnb uses to give the hosts the upperhand when their interests better align with the economic interest of Airbnb?

Does anyone have any experience with "what you can get away with when you list your apartement as studio"?

Thank you for all your help!

Dario

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Dario87 I found this on wikipedia:

In the United States, there is a lack of a single, universal definition; this commonly results in discrepancies between advertised and actual number of baths in real estate listings.

Bathrooms are generally categorized as:

1. "master bathroom", containing a shower and a bathtub that is adjoining to the largest bedroom;
  2. "full bathroom" (or "full bath"), containing four plumbing fixtures: a toilet and sink, and either a bathtub with a shower, or a bathtub and a separate shower stall;
  3. "half (1/2) bath" (or "powder room") containing just a toilet and sink;
  4. and "3/4 bath" containing toilet, sink, and shower, although the terms vary from market to market.
  5. In some U.S. markets, a toilet, sink, and shower are considered a "full bath."
  6. In addition, there is the use of the word "bathroom" to describe a room containing a toilet and a basin, and nothing else.

Just put "bathroom" and nobody can complain 🙂

Hello Branka and Silvia,

Thank you for your reply.

From the definition you sent, a space listed as "bathroom" should include a sink or basin.

It's weird Airbnb doesn't enforce that and keeps repeating that as long as the apartment was listed as "studio apartment" then the bathroom can be without a sink. It makes no sense to me.

Best,

Dario

@Dario87 I don't know, we have full bathroom but in my description I just say we have a "bathroom with a bath tub" and one separate "toilette"  .... which makes 1,5 bathrooms

I never thought about bathroom definitions before 🙂

btw , it seems your listing is not visible on Airbnb