Super Host Status and Declining Guests

Answered!
James-L-0
Level 2
El Sobrante, CA

Super Host Status and Declining Guests

We are currently having a problem which I am sure many of you have experienced-- inquiries from people with absolutely no identifying information. "Martha" is from the US. She joined this month. She has no reviews. She wants to book for 3 nights along with 4 other adults. Her only question  is "Do you have a BBQ we can use." We reply asking for details about Martha and her group-- explaining we need to know who will be here and the reason for their stay. No response 12 hours later.  My husband's Airbnb is in a small, quiet, gated community.  We simply cannot have people stay who we don't know anything about.... Our acceptance rate is 87 percent. We are very clear in the description that this is NOT a place for loud parties  or lots of traffic in and out.  Feeling pressure from Airbnb to accept inappropriate requests which we absolutely cannot do....

1 Best Answer
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James-L-0  I hope you are well!

If they are inquiries (as opposed to requests to stay) then all you need to do to maintain your stats is reply to the initial message.

Although it looks like you need to "accept or decline" inquiries, you don't need to- of course if you recieve a request to stay then you do need to either accept or decline that before it times out.

Best wishes

Paul 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@James-L-0  I hope you are well!

If they are inquiries (as opposed to requests to stay) then all you need to do to maintain your stats is reply to the initial message.

Although it looks like you need to "accept or decline" inquiries, you don't need to- of course if you recieve a request to stay then you do need to either accept or decline that before it times out.

Best wishes

Paul 🙂

Thank you, Paul. Just to be clear...When we reply with messages to inquiries without accepting or declining them, we get persistent notices from airbnb that we need to reply to retain our status... is that not correct?

Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You're welcome @James-L-0  !

You will be getting 2 different types of messages from potential guests:

-Enquiry: a guest messages to ask you a question, usually before they are sure they want to make a booking with you. It will be titled "Enquiry" and will have the options to decline or pre-approve, but you don't need to do either...you can just reply to the message to maintain your stats. Your reply (or not) to their message will affect your 'response' statistic- it falls under 'basic requirements' and 'superhost' in your stats.

-Request to book: a guest wants to book with you, they are sure of this and need you to approve the request- it will be titled "request to book" and will have the options to decline or approve- you DO need to choose one or the other within 24 hours or the request will time out. Your action here (approve or decline) affects your 'accepted reservations' statistic- and falls under 'basic requirements' in your stats.

I hope that all makese sense!

Paul 🙂

If people don’t reply to a msg - whether they have made an Enqiry or Request how do we decline to either with no effect on our stats or listing status? 

People ask questions we reply to and the options of : Pre-approve / Special offer/Decline don’t apply? 

Eg. People make a request for 1 guest but in their msg say they are bringing two more guests. As Hosts we don’t want to pre-approve/send a special offer / decline - we want to msg them and say please add all additional guests. This seems impossible without having to Decline them and then none of the reasons for Declining apply or if we pre- approve it is for one guest and not the true amount coming? If you are an actual Host you will understand this ... not sure IT or Air BnB Help get this? 

Laura2117
Level 2
Alamosa, CO

not sure if this helps, but I have found the majority of "inquiries " are 100% spam!!  I immediately report them to Airbnb.  (in other words, if the person is not willing to communicate with you via message,  there is something not right with the whole deal.) I get about 2 of these "fake" profiles a month. not sure what the scam is or how it works, because after I begin conversation, they either find a way to cleverly decline, change their plans, or just don't reply. I always check out guest profiles and see if they have any other reviews. hope this helps some!

I denied some guests because of their response also there are times Airbnb denied/cancelled them. However, booking on behalf of as neither person without letting the host has to be forbidden. The guest didn’t Ivey no rules, no respect to the quite hours, removed carpets do every step was heard yo I sure nobody gets sleep. I asked him to leave but some guests reported my hosting. Now I am suspended 

Dee-Grace0
Level 2
Newton, MA

Face AirBnB needs to give but flexibility to the hosts to get to know the people who dint have sny reference or no manner to review. I put out the tile be SOBER.

I’ve my neighborhood doesn’t have the bandwidth  to any nuisance even we had s town meeting and Airbnb knows that. 

Rule bending blaming the host to get away is not good

i will not be polite for these types even though they say I didn’t know how to write s review, you are an adult, I have a public 

Jean183
Level 2
Stockbridge, GA

Because we no longer have the option of seeing a picture of the person before we accept does not feel fair to me. I feel like as a host I should be able to see who is going to be knocking on my door before I say yes. It is nothing about race before you go there. I have had all colors and been equally as impressed and disappointed in each. It is about the gut. Whenever someone messages requesting to stay and are very vague and either have one or sometimes no review, and have verified with a selfi and their drivers license it is hard to make a good judgment call. So you text them back and ask for more info on the reason for their visit and they give you a one word answer “conference”. I accepted this person to keep my stats up and sure enough, she left this morning after two days and I have never been happier for someone to leave.  I would bet money she never darkened the door of any conference and my water bill this month will be double.  

Disappointed.  Jean

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuny!! I am still laughing. She probably didn't go to any conference and decided to use your facilities for a spa day.

Kay220
Level 2
Santa Fe, NM

I am a 30 day or more rental via Airbnb and have been a super host for a couple of years.  I am concerned as they have changed some requirements plus have it stated on the website if you have at least 10 stays this past year you will continue your super host status and I have 12.  So now they are saying that I only have 5 stays as they only count from April and next review is April 2020.  We moved to Santa Fe in May  and remodeled the  Santa Fe NM Airbnb so we had  a few months off the website. I told Airbnb this before hand. Anyway it states 10 bookings last year and I qualify for that. Called and they said yes it seems we made a mistake online. I will wait to see what they do. Seems unfair to me though.