Taxes for State of Virginia

Answered!

Taxes for State of Virginia

I can find no information on specifically what taxes are being collected and remitted for the State of Virginia. It's important that I do so I do not collect and remit them twice. Does anyone have any idea at all how I can find out specifically which ones are paid for me? or to whom they are paid? Even that information would be helpful. 

1 Best Answer
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Scottie2 

Your listing shows the following taxes are charged:

General Sales and Use Tax (Loudoun)
General Sales and Use Tax (Virginia)
Local Sales and Use Tax (Regional Transportation District)

Best regards,
Emiel

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Emiel1
Level 10

@Scottie2 

Your listing shows the following taxes are charged:

General Sales and Use Tax (Loudoun)
General Sales and Use Tax (Virginia)
Local Sales and Use Tax (Regional Transportation District)

Best regards,
Emiel

thank you!! Where do I see that? 

Emiel1
Level 10

@Scottie2 

I simulated a booking on your listing

Then the quote shows a line with charged taxes. The question mark next to it gives the breakdown

Thank you! I’m fairly new so I’m not certain how everything works. I certainly appreciate the help as I want to make sure I do everything on the “up and up”. 

Nataly39
Level 2
Virginia Beach, VA

In one place, AirBnb says they are collecting occupancy taxes.  They are NOT.  They are collecting sales taxes.  Those terms they are using are generic terms, not all of which may apply.  The state tax rate in Virginia is 5.3%.  Virginia Beach adds .7% to that for a total of 6% sales tax.  Virginia applies that tax rate to cleaning fees as well as the lodging charges.  I have no idea what Regional Transportation District sales tax is but it may be included in the 6% rate.  What I do not know is what kind of account there is in my name where the taxes go.

I should add that Virginia Beach charges hospitality tax (8%) and $2/night lodging fee.  The owner is responsible for collecting and remitting these charges to the city each month.  We include those in the price the guest pays and let them know that is the case, while also notifying them that AirBnb is collecting state sales taxes.  We are required to get a business license from the city as well.  I don't know whether you have similar occupancy taxes where you live.

We only have the regional transportation tax that has to be collected on properties of 4 or more guests (why mine says it sleeps 3). Looks like Airbnb collects it anyway. My only concern is making sure it's paid on my behalf. I would love to know how to get proof. Our county is really freaking out over the short term rental market and some are looking for any excuse to shut everyone down. 

Jackson88
Level 2
Virginia, United States

We pay 5%, soon to be 8% but they call it Transient Occupancy Tax in Dinwiddie Co, VA.  I remit my own State Sales Tax and my own Transient Occupancy Tax. AirBNB collects both as Pass Through Tax, sends it to me, and I remit it to both the state and the county shortly after the end of each month along with the required forms.   

Susanna351
Level 1
Amherst, VA

Airbnb pays ZERO to my County.  My County has NEVER received anything from them.

Airbnb sends it in early 2023 for the year 2022, but with no identifying info about hosts and probably collected at the wrong amount.