Terrifying Experience in Edinburgh - warning

Lucy191
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Terrifying Experience in Edinburgh - warning

Hello, I know it is probably not the right forum but I felt I should warn people against "Greyfriars Bobby private living rm" listed by Sophie. It has a picture of the graveyard, the reason I chose it. However the arrangement and people are highly unsavoury. She claimed to be married but her boyfriend is abusive, controlling and threatened me, saying "Don't interfere with our lives". He is barred from several pubs in the area and came into my bedroom drunk to retrieve his computer, and also smoked drugs in front of me. The flat is very cold and dirty, and too small to share with the host and boyfriend, who slept in the kitchen on the sofa - I couldn't get in the kitchen to see the nice view because her boyf was sleeping. She knew the situation and was worried about booking me for two weeks but still happily took a lot of money off me. She told me she tends to only book people for a few days because of it. I have reported it to airbnb but I felt I should warn people just how unpleasant it was.

She can barely string a sentence together and does not seem well enough to be charging people to stay with her. Both people seem to have mental health problems. On the 3rd morning the couple had a massive argument which was scary for both me and their poor cat! The day after, I spoke to her about it and she said she was sorry and that she will get the police to remove him if it happens again. She took me out for a drink and got very drunk, talking VERY loudly and losing control, causing us to get funny looks! She was talking a lot about how rough the city used to be which isn't nice to hear. Then her boyfriend came into the bar (drunk again) and told us to go home with him. We refused and later on they argued outside their front door, so I went to hide at a different pub because I was so frightened, so much so I packed my bag that night. In the morning he spoke to me saying "Don't interfere with us, she shouldn't have alcohol, she's on drugs that could kill her if she drinks." I cancelled the remaining days, sent a polite message saying it wasn't what I expected and that night she sent a torrent of abuse "You are the first complaint, you are in bed with X" and other strange sexual accusations and personal insults. Can send them to the help centre if needed. I found a facebook post of hers that reinforced my unease. I was really shaken by it and it has taken a couple of days for me to recover and write this. 

AVOID at all costs! It scares me that more vulnerable people might book this place, don't be put off by Edinburgh, it's a lovely place which I know having been 4 times before.

10 Replies 10
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

As I don't see any reviews of you as a guest, @Lucy191 I guess this is your first experience with Air BNB, right?  This is a terrible situation for you and I am glad you got yourself out of it as soon as possible.  Your flagging the profile will be investigated by Air BNB and possibly there are other flags from other guests.

In the future, you might select a place that is hosted by a "Super Host".  This designation ensures that the host is experienced and has many positive reviews.  Until you are more experienced with the shared home accommodations, it might be safer to use that criteria.  Take care, Linda 

Lucy191
Level 2

Thank you Linda. This is my second time with airbnb, the first host was a very nice young man so it has been a shock. All the other reviews have been good and she still owes me £140. The fact that she went crazy when I left quite polite feedback clinched the matter.

@Lucy191 that must have been an extremely frightening experience.

Did you get a chance to leave a warning in your review of the listing also?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Lucy191 I have seen your post about this on other forums. 

I can see you have described an awful experience, and appreciate how shaken you are by the experience.

But,  it seems strange your priority is posting about it on forums, rather than calling Airbnb to alert them of the situation, so that other women don't find themselves in this awful situation.

And it is not true to say that others haven't complained about the listing.  They have. This should have been a red flag for you, before you booked.

I found this listing. The pics are not flattering and it is indeed very old and this really doesnt look like a place I would stay at. There are typos in all of her text and by reading everything, she seems aloof. There is also no mention of two people living there. And look at all of the good reviews though there appears to be a couple issues. Your review is nowhere to be seen either. If you are that concerned and really feel this place is bad,post a review and be done with it, you may feel better. 

Rene-and-Zac0
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Lucy191 Did they at least pay for some beers at the Bar? 

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

I see that you have posted the same on The Student Room forum.

Sophie has 39 reviews, all of which appear quiet good. But I do not see your review

I feel that there is more to this and would like to hear Sophie's side

Lucy191
Level 2

I will review this tomorrow as I am putting a complaint through to the safety which is my priority.

Lucy191
Level 2

The listing has disappeared as has the host's profile. I'm so relieved. An investigation is taking place..is there a chance the host can come back?

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

As a lone female myself when I travel without my husband, I always choose to stay with a Superhost who is also female.

In some parts of the world rather than use air bnb accommodation where I don’t feel safe, I use Trivago for a hotel offer instead.

Best to be safe rather than sorry and rather than stay you should have phoned air bnb then left and sought out alternative accommodation elsewhere.