Theft

Answered!

Theft

A small item; dustpan and broom, worth $15 went missing. I thought this very odd, but replayed my CCTV and saw the guests  holding the items as they walked out of the property as they checked out. I could not believe it as they were both so friendly and were HOSTS as well. I gave them an excellent review as did they me. I sent them a message asking why they did that, but got no response. I don't want to make too much of a fuss but was shocked that they would do that. Should I just leave it at that?

1 Best Answer
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rob406 I would petition Airbnb to remove your review for these guests as to keep them from being able to IB if they have only one review. Mentioning this situation as the reason for this as once published you can not edit but you can remove it. 

I would also get Airbnb involved as mentioned above, what they did was completely uncool and as a minimum their account should be removed permanently and pay you back. One day it’s a dustpan the next it’s a tv... so not cool! 

Good luck to you! 

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Pete69
Level 10
Los Angeles, CA

Put in a claim request. Post the video on YouTube and reference it in your claim.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I don’t understand why you gave these guests an excellent rather than honest review when you know they stole from you? @Rob406 

You can only put a claim in If you do so before your next guests arrive.

Please don’t follow the advice of @Pete69  and post a video of them stealing the items on Youtube.. 

I'm talking about posting an UNLISTED video for the purpose of demonstrating for the YouTube arbitrators (when you use their online form) that this guest indeed stole the stuff. Please don't listen to Helen3. You need to provide evidence. That's what the video is for. Pretty self-explanatory.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

But that is not what you said @Pete69  What you actually said was;

"Post the video on YouTube and reference it in your claim"- you said nothing about it being 'unlisted' - a term which many won't be familiar with anyway.

A video can be sent via Airbnb messaging anyway if you use the app. No need to also put it on Youtube.

I am happy to stand by my advice.

6 or half a dozen. Videos can be posted on YouTube as unlisted, private or public. Select unlisted.

I only realised after the next guest left, which was a week after I gave them the review.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rob406 I would petition Airbnb to remove your review for these guests as to keep them from being able to IB if they have only one review. Mentioning this situation as the reason for this as once published you can not edit but you can remove it. 

I would also get Airbnb involved as mentioned above, what they did was completely uncool and as a minimum their account should be removed permanently and pay you back. One day it’s a dustpan the next it’s a tv... so not cool! 

Good luck to you! 

How do we go about petitioning AirBnb to remove our review? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Going forward @Rob406  do always check CCTV footage before reviewing guests. It is a useful tool, but only if you monitor it before you review and at key points such as check in.

@Helen3  The place looked immaculate after they left, and who has the time to be checking the movements off all guests. I only check if I suspect a problem as I live on the property,  but thanks for advice.

@Rob406  I don't understand the concept of giving a review before you have checked the place over-  you don't check the place between guests? The broom and dustpan doesn't get used to clean between guests? You have 14 days to leave a review after a guest checks out- there's no urgent need to submit a review before you've had a chance to make sure the guests haven't done anything amiss.

@Sarah977  Yes I do check and clean the place between guests but do not use the dustpan and broom as I use a vacuum cleaner. Good point about leaving the review for 14 days, but I guess, I like to get that out of the way so that I don't forget and so that I can see their review.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

you are not the only one whose dustpan and the broom was stolen 😄 LOL

https://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/article.cfm?c_id=1&objectid=12261347

That is funny, here I thought that I was special. lol