Third-party entering property during stay

Angelica333
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Third-party entering property during stay

I'm in the beginning of a long stay, and the host had a trade's person drive a car into the property to make a delivery of several glass fence panels for him without my knowledge. When confronted he said he had sent me a 'courtesy text message' just a few hours before delivery which I did not see. To me that is just unacceptable. Does anyone know where to find the rules around the hosts' right to access properties during a contract? How much notice are hosts required to give before they enter a rented property? Thanks!

13 Replies 13
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Did the tradesman come into the property or leave the materials outside? @Angelica333 

The host should have let you know that a delivery was coming. The delivery man would obviously have notified the host not you.

If they didn't come inside the risks and inconvenience to you are minimal.

Just message the host and say that if they want to have deliveries to the property while you are in occupation, you would appreciate it, if they could let you know in advance.

Hi Helen, thanks for replying. Yes, the tradesman came into the property - he drove a vehicle across the garden and left glass panels exposed on top of deck, blocking the entrance to part of the property.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I meant did he come into the property i.e. the house which you have confirmed he didn’t so in terms of Covid there was.no risk to yourself. Hopefully the host has removed the items .  @Angelica333 

@Angelica333  There is not a specific rule in Airbnb dictating how much notice hosts must provide about matters like this. It would be customary to provide 24 hours notice before accessing the actual living space, where presumably your belongings were secured. If the building itself wasn't entered, it seems to me like a minor transgression, although the host would be obliged to make sure the glass panels did not expose you to a safety hazard or prevent you from entering the building.

It sounds like you've already registered your displeasure with the host. But what's done is done - what kind of remedy are you looking for?

Thanks for replying, @Anonymous . I am just looking to find out if there were any policies around the subject.

I've seen people on other threads saying that kind of behavior is completely unacceptable but no one seems to have ever seen an Airbnb guideline on access to property. And it's an important discussion to have really. 

In my opinion when an owner/host rents an entire house they should not be using the property (including grounds) for anything at all specially without the renters/guests knowledge. The garden inside the house I rented which is all fenced btw, is part of my living/private space. Not to mention the safety aspect. For those with young children how scary is it that they might become exposed to strangers? Other than that is anyone renting an entire house long term going to be packing up their belongings every time they go out? What an uncomfortable stay that would be.

@Angelica333   There is quite an extensive amount of discussion on the matter here already if you dig around a bit - for example

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/forums/v3_1/forumtopicpage/board-id/listing-and-reservations/pag...

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Can-hosts-enter-entire-places-during-stay/td-p/583252

Most of the discussion concerns hosts accessing the building, rather than trade workers accessing the exterior grounds. I think the latter occupies a greyer area. If the property's outdoor features are included as amenities, a guest could rightfully consider them part of their rented space, but also with some reasonable expectation that they might be accessed by landscapers, trash collectors, meter readers, etc.  There are so many variables here that I don't think we can expect any specific intervention from Airbnb. 

Hopefully it is now clear to your host that you expect earlier and clearer notice, should he exercise his right to access his own property for legitimate maintenance again in the future. That is, indeed, an important discussion to be had between the two of you. But what is your ultimate aim in saying your experience was "unacceptable"? Expressing a problem is a hollow gesture if you don't have a solution in mind. Are you trying to get out of the remainder of your booking?  A refund? Or to have Airbnb turn the host over its knee for a spanking?

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Angelica333  I think you are overreacting a bit. A tradesperson obviously delivering building materials and leaving them outside is quite unlikely to pose a personal danger to you or anyone else and the host probably never considered that it would be any big deal. And he did message you about it.

As for "how scary is it for someone with young children", that's silly- young children should be supervised by their parents at all times and someone delivering a load of glass isn't a scary situation.

So just let the host know that you'd appreciate that if it's absolutely necessary to have anything delivered to the property, that you be given ample warning and that the host wait for an acknowledgement from you that you received the message.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Angelica333   Perhaps a better source of information for you regarding your rights as a tennant would be the tennant laws in your area of the UK, if that is where you are staying.  As stated by others, I wouldn't expect Air BNB to have "rules" about access to the outside of the property.  Of course, you can decide to what extent your review will reflect this situation.  While I don't think there was danger in this situation, I would certainly agree it is bad form for the landlord not to inform you of this delivery.  Have you had a response from the host about your concern yet?

@Linda108  The host did inform her- she said he sent a text message a few hours before the delivery, which she "didn't see". 

@Angelica333  Do you honestly expect that no one would come onto the property during a long term stay? Do you think the grass will mow itself and the gardens weed and water themselves? Someone has to look after that stuff as well as there needing to be basic maintenance, like changing batteries in a smoke alarm on a periodic basis or servicing a furnace.

@Sarah977Thanks for your time too.

I would totally understand the owner accessing the property unannounced in case of an emergency. Planned works though need to be informed in advance. Upon check in I was told about the the gardener coming once a month, and that is absolutely fine. I know the guy's name, the day and time he comes - no surprises.

As far as good practices go sending a message is not one as it does not guarantee the person on the other side will have read it - calling would have been a better approach. I'm an owner myself and to me that's just common sense. Thanks again!

@Angelica333  Agreed- I never assume someone has received either an Airbnb message or a text message until they respond.

As far as deliveries go, for sure the host should give ample warning, but I know from my own experience that things don't always get delivered when they say they will. A delivery person who was supposed to come 2 days from now might call to say they are in the area, have my order and need to drop it off.

What I feel, as a host, is that it all works better when guests and hosts cut each other a bit of slack. Unless it's obvious that the other party was simply being disrespectful or intentionally rude, what might seem like crossing boundaries to you or me might not occur to the other person. As long as we can just say that we would expect ample warning, or whatever the issue is, in the future, and get a apology or an "I didn't realize it would be an issue, but I'll make sure to do that next time", as long as there was no real damage done, we can learn from our mistakes and move on.

Thanks for replying, @Linda108 . Yes, the host and I are happy with the way we'll move forward.

It is now clear to me though there are no standards/policies around the subject. Renters/guests need to rely on host/owner's common sense or not using the platform at all, and only go into formal rental contracts for long-term.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

A short term guest has no tenancy rights in the UK @Linda108  as they are not a tenant.