Belfast, United Kingdom

Top sheets

Hi

Could any one advise if I should top sheets. Thanks

19 Replies 19
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Ursula144 I prefer duvet covers because many of the guests will lay down on the top sheet and not under it. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Ursula144 I also prefer duvet covers.  However, I do provide a top sheet, ironed and folded and left in the wardrobe with a spare blanket in case the guest wants to use it.  I have found that it is usually guests from the USA who like a top sheet whereas guests from the rest of the world are not bothered one way or the other.  

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Deffo duvet only. One less thing to wash. Tops sheets are just weird, in the same way flannels are for anyone under 85 🙂

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

No flannels? No Canadian winters in your life, then, @Gordon0? Smart fellow. 

@Ursula144, you might get in a topsheet for North American guests. Some cannot figure out the duvet system. As most of my guests are North Americans, I just go with both, like a chump. 

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Lawrene0 Over here a flannel is the same thing as a face cloth. It's an old fashioned  term though and not much used now.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Eek, what's a Canadian flannel, @Lawrene0?

It is a brushed heavy cotton sheet that makes us think we are warm, @Gordon0.  

I see, thanks to Rachel who is untaggable, that you mean what we call a washcloth that, yes, was something my mother-in-law was very fond of in her golden years, and that is in general use to mop the faces of squirming children. 

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Ahhh, that'll be flannelette to us, @Lawrene0, and I like it!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think we should use what is common in our own countries. So no top sheets in UK or Ireland 🙂  @Ursula144 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I read a couple of posts here over time where the guest said there was no top sheet, only a duvet, the duvet was too warm, but if they threw off the duvet, they were too cold. They therefore had a terrible sleep. Some hosts who use the duvet-only system have said well , the guest could just take off the duvet cover and sleep under that, but if I were a guest, I'd not think to do that- I would think I shouldn't, as then the duvet itself could get dirty and the host might get upset. So for those hosts who live where no top sheet is the standard, I'd say having one in the closet that the guest could use if they wanted to would be a good idea.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I have a winter duvet and a much lighter summer duvet for the summer months @Sarah977 

I also have spare towels and bedding in drawers under the bed that guests can use if they prefer to sleep under a sheet rather than a duvet (having said that it rarely (apart from last summer) gets so hot here that this would happen 🙂

Katrina79
Level 10
Saskatchewan, Canada

I always use a top sheet, but I’m in Canada! Also it saves my duvet covers from getting stained. I’d rather buy new sheets than duvet covers! 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Ursula144 

As I understood, in the USA is common to have the top sheet and then a duvet on top of it.

In Europe, we use a duvet inside the cover. So the bottom side of the cover work as a top sheet and the top of the cover protects the duvet in case someone sits on the bed.

So there is no need to have both- a duvet cover and a top sheet, it would be like 2 top sheets and would double your laundry cost.

Although it's a pain to put a duvet inside a cover, it is still easier than to wash a duvet after every guest.

You may put in the closet an additional thin blanket or cotton made a decorative cover in case your guests feel hot or cold under the duvet (we have ikea indira) and then wash it if used (it is rarely used)

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Ursula144 

In the uk, it depends upon what you are aiming for.

1-2-3-& 4 star properties its optional, duvet cover only required.

5 star and above its mandatory if being inspected by visit Britain for a star rating.