Totally Unreasonable Host!!!!!!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Totally Unreasonable Host!!!!!!

So, I booked a place earlier this week so that some girlfriends could celebrate my friend's 29th birthday out on the town. It was kind of expensive for the one night but our IG pics will be so cute and we'll be a much closer to the wineries than if we'd stayed at my house. But now the host is saying that we can't come early and we have to check out on time. And also she wants me to tell her the names of all the guests who are coming and sign a contract that says we'll take good care of the place. What?! This is an AirBnB! If I wanted to cleanup after myself, I would have stayed at home.

The last straw is that we have an extra friend who may be able to come if she can work out babysitting overnight for her kid, but this host is saying that we have to pay if we bring extra people. So, I'm totally over it and want to cancel, but the stay is tomorrow! Shouldn't this host give me a full refund for how much trouble she's causing me? What would you do?

20 Replies 20
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

Oh, @Kelly149 's won't-be-happening guest, my goodness what a lot you have been through. 

Just cancel on this unreasonable host. 

What's that? The refund? But you agreed to the cancellation policy and house rules when you booked. 

And the review? Oh, I'm afraid that would contravene policy. The review must reflect your experience, and you have no experience of cleanliness or check-in. 

You will have a much better time at the hotel to which you are more suited. 

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Kelly149  LOL, what brought that on?

Chris232
Level 10
Petersfield, United Kingdom

@Kelly149 

Oh Kelly, Tough time,  No doubt when you arrive there will be a mass of cameras to record your visit and your extra guests. On the positive side you could ask for a copy of the security cameras for your memories in the future

@Kelly149 

Seems like the host is doing nothing out of the ordinary. Check in/out times are what they are. Asking for full names of all guests, an accurate guest count and additional guest fee payment accordinly is also the norm.

"This is an AirBnB! If I wanted to cleanup after myself, I would have stayed at home." <== WTF?!?!?!?!?!?!

This guest and her girlfriends should do everyone a favor and stay home. It's pretty clear the guest group is planning to be total slobs, have a crazy party, drink all night, sleep in, take their time getting up and out, and take no responsibility whatsoever for their actions. No host needs guests like this. Imo, better an empty listing than putting up with a group of entitled brats who thinks rules don't apply to them. 

Seriously. Who's causing WHO trouble????? Seems like the only unreasonable person here is the guest. 

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

Fat trolling, @Kelly149? Can’t believe that adult, mature person will complain about reasonable house norms. This is Airbnb: those who pay can stay. This is private property: the owner has the right to know who is entering. Check in and out? Would you complain if they don’t open the shop when you want? Hope that this topic was a joke:)

Corliss2
Level 9
Calgary, Canada

@Kelly149 , Please cancel your booking, You will not be pleased with the house policies.  Please do not book at my place. Book at a hotel.

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Is this a spoof post? I appreciate British and American humour is different, but I don't get it!

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Gordon0 @Corliss2 @Yulianna0 @Jessica-and-Henry0  I suspect that @Kelly149 is the host here...

haha @Lisa723  the first thought which came to my mind while reading this 😄

Lianne24
Level 2
Dublin, Ireland

I'm having the same problem, my family and I can't get visas in time for our bookings 2 - 4 May and 10 - 12 May, I found out yesterday only.  We've had to shift our bookings to July because we can't get an embassy appointment until 11 June.  The first host rejected my new dates in July despite her calendar showing availability, her reason was in peak season it needs to be 4 days minimum for which I find no stipulation on the accommodation information and also can't understand why the calendar showed the dates as available then for 2 nights only.  The second host outright declined despite availability in the calendar and refuses to give a reason.  I explained my situation and sent screen grabs of my communication to the embassy and their response as well as proof of the visa appointment.  So I will lose thousands literally in Rand terms - it's no joke and for what at the end of the day?  

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Kelly149 you have created a monster.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

ok, so @Lawrene0 had it from the get go.

This was a real situation that happened this week. And, no @gordon I'm not kidding.

(and yes, @lisa I'm the host)

As the guest was hemming and hawing about cancelling bc dealing with our House Rules and expectations was just too "tedious" for her to have to manage, I was picturing what her thread would look like if she came to CC to complain. So, this is what I have written for you all here.

(And then I figured at some point in the future there would be some other guest who would read this thread and go "Yeah! Man, Hosts are such a pain!")

After 3 years of hosting and several whopper guests at that, this was the first time I ever gave a guest the "Well, Bless Your Heart" message that they deserved. Then I offered her to refund everything but a $100 inconvenience fee and Glory Be, she took me up on it and they will be someone else's problem this weekend. Bc I"m with @jessica & henry there was no amount of money that was going to be worth having this guest in my space.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Kelly149   I figured it was an April Fool's joke a few days late. I've read enough of your posts to have realized it wasn't you who was the prospective guest, unless you just had some schizophrenic breakdown 🙂

I was with a friend here one day last season who was being kept awake until 4AM by yahoo guests at the neighboring house yelling and splashing drunkenly in the pool. My friend hosts herself, but vets guests well and has none of this BS. We were getting in my car to do some shopping when a car pulled up at the neighboring house with a couple of the young offending guests. When they go out, she talked to them (she's soft-spoken and polite, but firm). One of the guy's immediate and belligerant response to being told they need to respect the neighborhood, that they rented a house, not an event center or a bar, was "It's an Airbnb rental!"

Some people really do think that "Airbnb rental" is synonymous with "no-holds-barred party house".

@Sarah977  of course they do, and it's the result of Airbnb guest protection policy (the guest is always right and not responsible for anything)