Trying to book a automatically cancelled room again, on host request, why are the dates blocked?

Jae21
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

Trying to book a automatically cancelled room again, on host request, why are the dates blocked?

Hey! I was trying to book a room, but the host took more than 24 hrs to respond and it was automatically cancelled.

The host and I were talking and she said she would want me there, and just didnt have enough time to respond, and i should rebook.

However, when i go to rebook, the dates are blocked off for the exact time i had requested earlier. 

Why is this? Is is just a processing error?

12 Replies 12
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jae21 

The dates are automatically blocked as a "punishment"for the host for not answerring in time. The host can make those dates manually available again, then you can sent the request again.

BTW The host should know this !

B est regards,

Emiel

@Emiel1are you sure host can unblock those dates manually? I thought if the request is not responded then dates are blocked as a punishment and he can't unblock them or rebook them again.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Branka-and-Silvia0,

Yes, blocked dates as a result of not accepting or declining a reservation request within the timelimit, can be made available again by the host. 

oh cool @Emiel1 tnx for info I didn’t know 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Careful with this one, @Jae21...it takes seconds to accept a booking. Might be a red flag. 

Thank you! I would be worried, but this host has 60+ amazing reviews, and it sounds like she was just conferring with her mother whom she shares the place with!!

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jae21 

The host may have blocked the dates to prevent you from booking.  This host might only accept fully verified members with positive reviews from other hosts.  You do not meet those requirements.

Lucy472
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Something similar has happened to me, except the host cancelled within 24 hours. Then messaged asking me to rebook at the higher price they were going to add for the Christmas period. They say that they have been told that the dates will be available again after 24 hours but they are still blocked more than 48 hrs later. I believe this is because they asked me to pay a higher rate and they are being punished. How can we get the dates visible again? 

@Lucy472  Blocked Dates will not be available till the end date of the booking past.

Emiel1
Level 10

@Lucy472 

You are correct, the host can not make the dates available again. Cancelling a reservation because wanting more money is really stupid. This host is on a learning curve., better look for other accomodation

As a guest never rebook because a hosts wants more money for same booking, but report host to Airbnb

Best regards,

Emiel

Lucy472
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Thanks for your reply. we spent a long time looking for and choosing the apartment, now we will probably have to choose again. 

@Lucy472 I think it would be a good idea for a guest to choose a few listings, 1st, 2nd, and 3rd choices, make note of the URLs so you can easily find them again if necessary, in case for some reason your first choice doesn't work out. Just so you don't have to go back and look over all the listings again. Too bad this host was clueless about what cancelling would do to her booking calendar as well as not keeping her pricing up to date for holiday times.