Two four-week inquiries / hospital workers

Carolyn377
Level 2
Ocala, FL

Two four-week inquiries / hospital workers

In the last 2 weeks, I've had 2 inquiries from people about staying for 4 weeks in order to work a month at the area hospital. The first one I accepted (Jul. 27-Aug. 24) but now it seems too coincidental. Has anyone else had this kind of an inquiry? Is it legit?

12 Replies 12
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Carolyn377 maybe the hospital organises some workshops or conventions, you can ask arround since you live near it. I don't think it is weird. 

Carolyn377
Level 2
Ocala, FL

She wants to book April 24-May 23. Now she is stating that she is in the area and wants to come and see the place first. She has provided her email address and no other documentation, despite being a member since 2011. I smell a scam.

Now I'm concerned about the one whose reservation I DID approve. She has a profile pic, and did provide a full name, phone number, and email address, but she doesn't have any host recommendations or gov't ID uploaded. (I did find a FB profile and she seems to be delightful.)

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Carolyn377 never let someone see the place before the check in time. I would have declined the first one also. You can always ask the second one to complete her profile and upload an ID, but if everything else seems ok don't worry too much.

Thank you, Ana! Regarding the one from today, I've already accepted a reservation for this weekend, so her request is off the table. I accepted the weekend reservation because I'd decided against her -- she didn't respond to my request to upload a gov't ID.

About the 7/27-8/24 lady, the AirBnB customer service person said that he would contact her and ask her to upload a gov't ID. I really am not worried about her -- my gut about her is entirely different -- but after experiencing today's request, I'm definitely going to protect myself!

Also, the fact that she booked so far into the future is a good sign, I think. If she were out to scam a newbie host (me), she would have done as today's person did, which was to request a four-week stay starting day after tomorrow.

Candee0
Level 8
Oceanside, CA

I had a traveling nurse stay for 2 weeks. Another friend of mine has them all of the time, sometimes for more than a month.  Apparently being a traveling nurse is very lucrative.

The lady that stayed with me was a great guest- she was almost never here! I wouldn't mind having more of the same.

Thank you, Candee! This is reassuring.

Beth80
Level 10
State of Roraima, Brazil

@Carolyn377  My daughter is a travel nurse. Sometimes it's a quick two week gig others 3 or 4 months. But not providing the necessary documents is always concerning. If shesson the up and up she should answer any questions you ask. Good luck!

Thank you, Beth! I agree with you about people being responsive and compliant when they're legit. ❤️

(That's supposed to be a heart, lol)

@Carolyn377 We're in New Hampshire and have had a few "medical travelers" (sometimes they call themselves "medical Gypsies") stay in our home. One was an OR tech from Kentucky here through an agency, working per diem for a local hospital. Another was a traveling nurse. They get a per diem and can choose to book an Airbnb and save $ or go to a hotel. They stayed for differing periods of time and were excellent guests. But they had their own Airbnb accounts and reserved themselves. The OR tech was filling in for someone on maternity leave, I think. He chose to stay at a hotel on a few nights when he was on-call overnight so he wouldn't disturb us.   M.E. 

Thank you! That is reassuring. 🙂