Underage Drinking

Answered!

Underage Drinking

I am new to AirBNB and just received a booking for a younger group.

My concern is there will be underage drinking if I approve these types of reservations. Does anyone have feedback they can provide? Very concerned and want to make sure to take precautions.

Am I able to request that persons booking be at least 21 years of age so I don't have to worry about minors renting to have underage parties?

1 Best Answer
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I would be and really, we should all be concerned about the criminal and liability implications related to underage drinking. 

Depending on the jurisdiction, I could see an incident leading to criminal charges and if someone was injured, insurance liability or even civil litigation. 

Thank you for bringing this up, as it’s something I am going to think more about. 

View Best Answer in original post

8 Replies 8

Agree with your concern and would like to have the same ability to verify IDs Of all guests

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

No at Airbnb you can't discriminate on the basis of age (unless you are a large scale property management company or your housing association has a 21+ restriction. You need to accept 18+ @Brad-and-Tafi0 

@Brad-and-Tafi0 Your Bunkhouse looks really fun, and it's easy to see its appeal as a party house. So in all honesty, underage drinking and/or drugs are a very likely scenario - if not with this group than at some point in the future. There isn't really a way you can prevent people from making these choices, but you can set and enforce clear rules about noise levels, and strictly forbid unregistered visitors. This minimizes the odds of a party that attracts police attention and damages your property. 

John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

I would be and really, we should all be concerned about the criminal and liability implications related to underage drinking. 

Depending on the jurisdiction, I could see an incident leading to criminal charges and if someone was injured, insurance liability or even civil litigation. 

Thank you for bringing this up, as it’s something I am going to think more about. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@John1080  For many of us there aren’t legal implications as we have 18+ drinking age laws in the majority of countries around the world. 

@Helen3, sure, but 21 of course in the US and 19 in many provinces of Canada.

What are the risks to us in the US as far as liability? I just had a 19 year old Who lives locally book for New Year’s Eve. Our home is attached to the apartment so we can keep a close eye on things but have no way to know if there’s underage drinking happening inside. 

How did you know the age of the guest?