Understanding why an inquiry doesn't lead to a booking.

Answered!
JR26
Level 3
Wilmington, NC

Understanding why an inquiry doesn't lead to a booking.

Over the past year, I have had several inquiries that did not lead to a booking; a couple that did. I affimatively answered most question but the guests never wound up booking. I wonder if they are just shopping around, and I was passed over for another property. It's annoying because I often spend much of the day answering numerous trivial questions.

1 Best Answer
Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@JR26 Don't sweat it. This will happen occasionally even with your best efforts to answer all questions. Guests have the right to shop around, but I strongly suggest keeping up the high quality communication. This will differentiate you in some instances.

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You never know why if they don't follow up, @JR26 , and, yes, it's annoying, but I think of it this way: They asked questions, and maybe they didn't like what they heard. It wasn't a good fit. It would not have been a good stay. 

Answering some trivial questions now is better than hosting a difficult stay, and way better than getting a bad review.

So breathe a sigh of relief 🙂

Seriously, though, is there a theme in the questions? Is what they want something you could reasonably provide?    

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@JR26  Yes, it's annoyong, but we have to just consider it part of our jobs as hosts. Some Inquiries will proceed to bookings, some won't. Yes, many are just shopping around and may have sent out 10 different Inquiries. It would be nice if guests were polite enough to at least thank us for our time in responding, but most won't.

If you are getting Inquiries the answers to which can easily be found if the guest just takes the time to read through the listing description, you could write up a saved message that you can respond with so you don't have to type up the same answer every time.

"Hi XXX (of course, you'll actually put their name in there), Thanks for your interest in my place. The answers to the questions you asked can be found by throughly reading through my listing description, house rules, etc. If you have any specific questions which you find aren't answered there, feel free to message back and I'll be happy to answer them."

Daniel1598
Level 10
Fairfax, VA

@JR26 Don't sweat it. This will happen occasionally even with your best efforts to answer all questions. Guests have the right to shop around, but I strongly suggest keeping up the high quality communication. This will differentiate you in some instances.

Thanks! I have learned to stop blocking dates for inquiries. That gesture seems to have little sway in their decision-making.

Cynthia475
Level 5
California, United States

@JR26   I too find it annoying to answer a bunch of questions and then not even a thank you.  But they are searching for a vacation rental and have their mind on finding the perfect place for the perfect price, not playing nice with an owner that is on the other side of an e-mail that they have decided they are never going to meet.

Having said that, I do take every opportunity to answer the annoying questions with a smile on my face (hoping that is felt through the e-mail)  and try to make a connection so I can turn that inquiry into a booking.  If I am going to take the time to answer it, mine as well try and benefit from it.

I hate to disagree with @Sarah977 but I do not think I would send that e-mail.  If I received that response I would be turned off.  If you really want to have a saved message I would type one up with answers to your most asked questions and then modify it to answer that guests specific question.

@Cynthia475  That's okay to disagree 🙂 I also answer each inquiry personally, but I'm not inundated with Inquiries every day. And I'd only send a saved message like that to a guest who just asked questions that were easily answered in the listing description. I wouldn't be too fussed myself about having a guest who was too lazy to read the listing description and opted to waste my time instead, decide not to follow through with a booking.

Sometimes guests ask something just as a way to make a personal connection, to get a feel for the host, and I totally understand that. Those guests usually also introduce themselves, say my place looks perfect for them, etc, they don't just ask trivial questions. But if they send an inquiry that just says- "So is it just for one person?" when my listing heading includes "For Solo Traveler", that's someone I wouldn't be keen on having book, anyway.

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hello @JR26 

I answer all inquiries.

From my experience, I have notice that, when a potential guest do not mentioned my name, the probability of booking is minor. In this case, the potential guest may have sent the same questions to lots of other hosts using copy and past. Moreover, If they ask silly question, the probability to convert the inquiry into booking is minimal.

Thanks @J-Renato0 . That's a good observation whether the potential guest mentions my name or not. I will continue to answer all inquiries which is about 25% from inquiry to booking.

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Cynthia475   maybe @Sarah977   does not want those guests not bothering to read the description ?  🙂  it is a bit of a red flag.

Josiah0
Level 3
Fitchburg, MA

We get a few potential guests asking us questions which are clearly stated or inferred in our listing.  Generally, depending on the tenor of the initial message with questions, I'll either answer a quetion or two, or direct them back to our listing.  Sometimes that results in comments like, 'why don't you just answer the question?' or 'thank you so much, I found what I needed.'  That usually helps me determine whether I accept the booking or not.

And, never block dates for inquiries, even if Airbnb offers that feature specifically for that guest.  Unless you're absolutely sure the guest might book with you, or it's far enough off, it could block another potentially more lucrative booking.  Often, guests who make inquiries with us and wait too long to book get out-booked.  I can't risk blocking dates just for inquiries, especially since I have many returning guests who rely on our availability.