Undisclosed cameras in my airbnb

Jeff689
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Undisclosed cameras in my airbnb

So in my recent stay in CA, I noticed there was cameras in some areas of the house( front room, kitchen, garage, stairway, hallway outside bathroom and bedrooms, etc) the listing did not disclose that there was cameras beforehand and I asked one of the people staying there about them and was told they don't work. What really weirded me out was the smoke detector in my room had a post-it note covering the face of it like it was covering a camera. Idk who out that there or why but I was never able to open it without breaking it.

After staying there for awhile I started reading all these horror stories about airbnbs and people being recorded so I finally worked up the courage to ask the hosts and she said sane thing that they don't work. But I decided to do some research after that and learned how to tell if they were working and used my phone to record video and could see the light emitting from the cameras that showed they were indeed recording!

I immediately booked a new Airbnb to move to and contacted Airbnb and told them about the situation. Now its been days and i'm still waiting to hear back.

My question is has anyone else been in this type of situation? I'm trying to get advice from airbnb but no responses.

15 Replies 15
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Jeff689 How long have you contacted Airbnb? Airbnb normally deal with this very quickly. Once Airbnb knows that there are undisclosed cameras in a hosts property, they will deactivate the listings immediately until the listings are corrected. Normally it takes a few days for the listings to be back with those disclosed information.

But cameras are only allowed in common areas like front door, living room, and kitchen. And the direction of the camera has to be disclosed too.

Over a week ago, and last contact saturday 22nd

Lyn3
Level 10
Mapleton, Australia

@Jeff689 

Hi Jeff,

This is just a thought re the post-it note covering the smoke detector in the bedroom...actually I have done that in my own home when sleeping in the spare room, as I really dislike the tiny green light and accompanying glow that is constantly 'On'.

When I decided to create an Airbnb suite, which included that bedroom, I had an electrician move that smoke detector to right outside the bedroom so that it didn't impact on guests who are similar to me 🙂 Not sure how I'll handle it when new laws come into force, whereby smoke detectors will be required in all bedrooms.  (Sleep masks, I guess)

No way would I appreciate undisclosed cameras in a listing, but the post-it note over a smoke detector may be innocent enough.

Same here. I hate that little light and have covered it up as well. It would never even cross my mind to think about a camera in a smoke detector.

Cj61
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

@Jeff689 

Hi Jeff,

You posted in this forum yesterday (June 27) and reported the property some days ago. Have you heard anything yet? What really worries me is that they said they weren't working, which implies a further level of deception. Air bnb need to respond much more quickly to issues that may be considered breaches of trust, privacy and are potentially voyeurism, including of children (if applicable). Heck, I don't even know if this may be considered a kind of abuse. If you record your attempted contacts and then keep that record perhaps if it is found that Air bnb is neglecting their duty of care... I might be getting carried away, perhaps they have already acted and just not informed you yet.

Thank you for following up and reporting though, a lot of people wouldn't bother because once they're out of harm's way they think it doesn't matter any more.

Cj61
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

PS I put a small spot of 'blue tac' over the indicator light on my air-conditioner because of the brightness, so you are not alone there. 🙂

Still have not heard back yet, since posting I have called in asking to have people handling case call me back, and I've emailed twice. Still haven't heard back and my last contact was on last sat the 22nd.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Jeff689 

Welcome to CC

We all as adults must have a conversation about these issues as many people have Home Security cameras/ devices in there homes, just like they do in businesses these days.

There was a Host who was berated for having a Baby Monitor device operating in her home that she forgot to switch off - use keywords in the searchbox here in CC to see that & other Camera/ recording device matters.

One doesn't know the reasons why electronic security/camera devices are in anyone's home, personal security, keeping an eye on one's own family including children are common these days.

It was only around 15-20 years ago that Mobile phones, computers, internet & such like became more readily accessible to the wider community & then it was a case of only the wealthier had them before it became the norm.

What I would like to know is how many of these cameras are monitored by 3rd parties, like Security companies who monitor alarms, and how secure, or insecure, is there Data, or if they are Regulated in any way?

The same applies to all the Spyware APPS online that are available that people have installed on phones to monitor others phones/ electronic devices - It's unlawful to be selling such devices & using them for such purposes & an explosion awaiting to be addressed properly & no different to phone hacking as it's equally as grotesque & intrusive.

If they are not regulated, why aren't they?

What steps are our Governments doing about ensuring Law & Order in the wider community, in accordance with those enshrined under Human Rights Laws?

We are all entitled to privacy in our own Homes & private life as per International Laws including the right to dignity, we also are entitled to Personal Safety in one's home.

It's very much about having a good well balanced situation that works for all.

All the best

Jeff689
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

I stayed about 3 months, and the host tricked me into re-booking the same room through a new listing at a higher rate after the first month

@Jeff689 Did you still continue staying there after seeing the security cameras inside bedroom? Just wonder why you just started talking to Airbnb after three months stay. This should have been raised to Airbnb right after you started probing if the camera actually recording.

Jeff689
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

There were 6 cameras that I was able to find, could have been more, all inside.

Jeff689
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

After a week of no responses and me calling several times. I finally got one, saying they can't talk to me about the investigation but will let me know when its done. While they have left the hosts 5 other bookings at the location up and running 🙄. Just I guess we shall have to wait and see.

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

Rest assured, @Jeff689, Airbnb will shut this host down with no explanation, whether the cameras were working or not.

Jeff689
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Airbnb has finally contacted me with more excused as to why they are too busy to talk on the phone and can only talk via email. They back tracked on the refund i was promised and now are only offering 4 days worth of re-payment. To top it off they are not removing the host and they are just letting them update their disclosure, which has still not happened. All the while letting the host to keep all 42 of the listings up(most of which have cameras and are not disclosed and are illegal year round airbnbs).

Im getting a feeling airbnb has done some calculations and decided this host makes them more money than just 1 measly customer. So now i've been getting the same crappy treatment i've read about happening to others.

Any ideas anyone on what I should do? Reach out to media i'm thinking