Unidentified guests

Ulle0
Level 2
Rome, Italy

Unidentified guests

Hello dear fellow hosts!

I have been noticing in Rome in the recent half a year a new trend of the guests from China.

Nothing discriminating for their side, but I consider it a bit discriminating for me as a host 🙂

I get instant bookings verified by AirBnB with the picture of Duracell Rabbit or Hollywood film stars, one of my guest's name was just " :)" without indicating which city she/he is from China. The first message comes in perfect English, and then after if I make some additional questions they never answer and just arrive... In last month I got 3 of this kind of bookings at a place where I live myself. The guests arrived early in the morning despite the check-in rules say their room is available from 3 pm. They do not speak any word of English, they do not understand how the bathroom or hot water works. I really do not want to be discriminative against any nationality, but as I had so many difficulties and after discussing it with Airbnb without any serious outcome, my question is, can we as host somehow select the folks which is coming to stay in our home? The guests see our profile before booking, but we as host cannot see the profile and picture of the person who wants to stay in my home! I think it is a matter of security and transparency! I have been contactin AirBnB in this issue several times. No concrete answer so far!

Waiting for you comments and remarks, 

Ülle

4 Replies 4
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think you could do a few things as a host to tighten up on your vetting procedures, to help you better manage these issues @Ulle0 for example:-

1. I have it in my house rules that I only accept guests with a clear profile of themselves. If they don't provide it then I can ask Airbnb to cancel

2. I have it in my house rules that guests must provide a check in time. If they don't provide this on booking, I chase them for it, if they don't respond to me on the platform I ask Airbnb to chase them. I would never have a guest arrive without knowing an approximate time they are planning to arrive within my check in period

If you put these two measures in place it would avoid both the problems you are having with guests not providing photos of themselves and not knowing when guests are checking in and having them arrive in the early morning.

By the way if guests do this direct them to local left luggage and things they can do locally and have them return during your check in period.

@Ulle0  Are you aware that Instant Book is optional? If you want to be able to screen your guests, all you have to do is turn it off. Then, guests will have to send you a request in order to book, and you'll have the option of declining the request, or asking follow-up questions before accepting. Airbnb no longer displays the profile photo until after the booking is confirmed, but you can still view the rest of the guest's profile and reviews upon receiving a request. 

I think it is reasonable to decline a request based on inability to communicate effectively - whether that's due to lack of a common language or the guest's unresponsiveness. 

Terrie9
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

I agree with Andrew0.  Immediately turn-off Instant Booking!

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Ulle0 what @Helen3 said. 

We live and learn.