Unpleasant Start to Hosting experience

Stella40
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Unpleasant Start to Hosting experience

Hello all,

I'm a complete newbie in this Airbnb world...so much to know and so many details and nuances.

My situation pertains to Automatic Booking Feature - I didn't know I had it on (went live 2 days ago) and so people booked, but my price was set extremely low and I didn't factor in a security deposit and cleaning fees and other things. Now I'd like to cancel, but there I'm warned about cancellation fees and *negative* review of some sort. I'm so discouraged by this start that I'm thinking of taking the traditional route to renting and de-activating my account. I'm not sure why I am at risk of being penalized for wanting to cancel a listing a week in advance and another a month in advance. Most people have beginner glitches, these are mine. Can anyone suggest please how to go about it? Thanks in advance. 

16 Replies 16
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Stella40

Only the terms and conditions that were in place when your guest booked will stand.It wouldn't be fair to guests to book at one price and with one set of conditions only for a host to be able to change it to suit their own requirements at will.

I am glad that you have decided to honour the bookings that have been made.

When you are reading up on roles and responsbilities as a host, please pay careful attention to

1. Host cancellations and host cancellation policies

2. Deposits

3. What to do if a guest damages your property or behaves badly - how to claim through host guarantee or deposit.

4. Importance of house rules - make sure you cover no additional guest other those who have booked to be in the property, use of kitchen, cleaning issues and noise.

5. What to do if a guest turns up with more people than have booked/animals/children

You can find out about these areas by using the help section on Airbnb's website and by reading the useful community guides you have already been given links to.

p.s. I would also review your photos and ensure clear, well lit shots of the bedroom with the bed properly made up and the bathroom are shown early on in your listings rather than halfway through.

Good luck

Hi Helen,

Thank you for your input. So much to read and learn.

Best,

Stella