User friendly and best Guest bedding

Glenda35
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

User friendly and best Guest bedding

Hi, I would like to know about other hosts preferences for their guest bedding.

For example I live in Queensland and find it challenging deciding on bed covering from winter thru to summer. I generally have a quilt with cover on the bed with quilt cover needing to be taken off and washed regularly this makes for hard work. In summer I generally leave the quilt out and just have a top sheet and quilt cover on the bed with a blanket in the cupboard. Any other suggestions will be greatly appreciated, thank you 

4 Replies 4
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Glenda35 

I am afraid you simply have to wash any bed linens that the guest may come into physical contact with in between every stay. There's just no way around that. 

Personally, I would not have a quilt without a cover and rely on a top sheet. There's been a lot of discussion about this already on the CC. People have different preferences for how they sleep and some guests will pull away the top sheet and sleep directly under the quilt. Even if they don't do that, guests might eat in bed, put suitcases or other items on top of the quilt, sit naked on it or even have sex on top of it!

If you're going to use a quilt without a cover, you should wash it every time. It's so much easier to simply have a cover and wash that. It might seem a bit of an effort, but that's just part of hosting and I'd think a pretty standard part of a turnover.

As for winter/summer, I have lighter duvets for summer and heavier ones for winter. The lighter ones then go in the cupboard so the guest can use them as an extra layer if they feel the cold easily. Of course, you need the storage space for this to be feasible.

There are lightweight bedspreads as an extra layer at any time of year, but I host long term stays, so it's not difficult for me to wash these in between stays and I would maybe skip them if you have a lot of turnover.

Glenda35
Level 2
Gold Coast, Australia

Thanks very much  for replying and for your helpful suggestions, much appreciated. 

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Glenda35 In Victoria we ring the changes by using a flannelette bottom sheet and a cotton top sheet with a winter weight doona plus electric blankets ,which are on the beds all year round,plus a heavy quilt for extra cover plus various throws or woollen blankets if people like weight as well as warmth . Some do when its very cold. I always find when I go to Queensland in the winter that the blankets are too light for me,or that when its very hot a sheet can be only nuisance value. I think that the perfect solution maybe to be careful that all sheets are cotton 400 thread count is best and no polyester and a light full cotton sheet with one of the larger waffle weave blankets or a lightweight doona in a full cotton ,firm fitting cover .And add some standby heavier weight blankets in case it gets cold ,but it doesnt ,does it ?,and have an aircon instead of an electric blanket . I will be in Brisvegas in a couple of weeks so will test all the beds . Lucky me H

Thanks very much for your reply and got your helpful suggestion much appreciated