Verify already booked guest

Kristina100
Level 1
Clarksville, TN

Verify already booked guest

I had a guest book with me about 2 days ago. They sent me a message, saying that they are coming from Canada to TN, I didn't realize that the settings I have set were not ones I prefered. This person has a profile picture, lacked providing me further information about their travel / visit other than it is a 12 hour drive for them. On their profile, there appears to be an email address confirmed but consist of multiple letters and numbers (seemed strange to me) but no further information about them. Is there a way to go back or have them provide further proof after they had already booked? 

2 Replies 2
Christian65
Level 10
Copenhagen, Denmark

You could ask them to provide you with some more information about who they are and what they are coming in for via the messaging system. Some don't write much and others provide lots of details but it depends on the guests. I have had both kinds with great succes.

You can always cancel your booking if you don't feel comfortable with a guest for some reason.

BUT have a read here before you do it because cancelling should always be the last resort.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/990/i-m-a-host--what-penalties-apply-if-i-need-to-cancel-a-reser...

Remember to set-up your requirements for Instant Booking so you don't experience this again. You can for instance require that guests only can book with reviews etc.

The email thing is Airbnb who scrambles the email address people provide on their profile. It's just so you can't see the excact email but nothing fishy about that.

Best of luck on getting more information from your guest. Perhaps they are really nice.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

First of all, @Kristina100, I can put your mind at ease about the weird-looking email address. That is just the temporary address that Airbnb provides us all so we don't have to give out our real email addresses. It allows you to send a pdf of directions or photos or whatever. It disappears once the stay has ended. I don't often need it here, but it can be handy. So that bit is nothing to do with your guests and any sketchiness.

It would be nice if they would answer you, however. Do ask again, and tell them it is to put your mind at ease. 

As to providing proof that they have booked, if you have asked them that, then it is they who will be worried. It is Airbnb who provides you proof of booking, not the guest. Take a look at your dashboard to see whether you have a confirmed reservation.

It will be a good idea to get to know the Airbnb site and policies really well moving forward. You won't regret the time it takes. All the best!