Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Wanting to 'break' or 'bend' a House Rule...

Deborah82
Level 10
Toodyay, Australia

Wanting to 'break' or 'bend' a House Rule...

Hi all,

Food for thought.

Can I please put a general recommendation out to those of you that, may in the future have found the 'perfect' place for you and yours to stay at - but you go on to read the House Rules and find that you don't or won't be able to meet those rules.

Contact the host.

First.

Don't book, don't tentatively book - contact the host without booking, and politely state your case.

This will save you, and your possible host time and some issues.

Your host may surprise you and accept your terms.

However, if your host does not, and is adamant that the rules are rules, and not suggestions, then accept it with good grace and find another place to stay.

Lets face it - do you really want to stay where you may not be welcomed?

Kind regards and safe travels,

Deborah.

Loving the Airbnb Community❣

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️
5 Replies 5
Marion18
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I dont have any rules yet to speak of and I certainly don't like the idea of notes in the house that being said

1) Please wash and put away your dishes before heading out for the day. Thankyou.

@Marion18

I have three; 

No pets (most people travel with dogs, and I foster for a cat rescue)

No smoking 

No Children under 12 - I have a river across the road, a well and pond on my property, and a creek one metre from the cottage. Further, the house is a pole home and is unsecured for children.

My home, my rules.

Loving the Airbnb community and it’s diversity❣️

Hi Marion,

I'd love to pick your brain. We're new hosts and it's important to us to set expectations of our guests but also to make sure they have the absolute best time.

You find it bothersome to see a note asking you to wash your dishes? Could you elaborate? Do you believe the host should wash your dishes? Do you only want these terms to be in the House Rules and you find it rude to see little reminders? 

Thanks for your help in my market research for our own home! 🙂 

Taryn 

Just request that guests leave the kitchen and bath as they find it....if there is no time to put away clean dishes, no biggie, but it is understood that adult behaviour is expected.

Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

I agree, communication is the key 🙂