We never found the place we booked

Claudia474
Level 1
El Paso, TX

We never found the place we booked

I was really looking forward to a "romantic" cabana next to the lagoon in bacalar.  I booked a cabana next to the water.   At first the host was very nice and agreed to let us leave our luggage early.  We assumed we would get to Bacalar early.  Since we drove from Cancun we ended up in Bacalar a little later than the check in time.  We got a taxi and the taxi driver asked us for directions because the address listed was not right.  "Jose" was nice enough to send us directions.  We drive into the middle of nowhere in a very bumpy and dangerous road.  A man comes out and tells us we have the wrong place.  We kept driving and never found the location.  I kept calling our host and he would not answer.  We decided to go stay with a family member since we were all there for a wedding.  When we got to their hotel "jose" began calling and messaging very rudely because i had canceled the reservation after we could not get a hold of him.  On GPS it said the location was hours away when in reality it should have been 5-10 min from where we were.  I told him that we had no where to stay now.  The taxi driver told us that people here don't use the right address to avoid paying taxes.  So now i'm down almost $200 and i'm not able to get a refund.  My question is, Is there anyway to dispute this and get some funds back?  I'm sure the host will deny giving me back my money considering his behavior.  

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Call Airbnb - contacts in the top post in the forum you are posting in.

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Claudia474   If you did not stay at the place because you could not find it and you were messaging the host on Air BNB, that should give Air BNB what is needed to process a refund.  As @Helen3 suggested, find the community guide on this sitefor contacting Air BNB for several ways to make contact.  However, you should have a contact number on your reservation confirmation.