What are people doing to comforters in between guests?

Shelly182
Level 2
Stowe, VT

What are people doing to comforters in between guests?

Hello, I have been washing my comforters between every use but heard of some people using a disinfecting spray on the comforters instead of washing in a pinch? Do people have recommendations on what types of sprays are safe during COVID? What does everyone do? 

Thank you 

23 Replies 23
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

The top sheet makes sense for many reasons, especially in hotter weather where you don't necessarily want a duvet/quilt/comforter on top of you, but want something...

However, I suspect the reason has much to do with the whole comforter without washable cover thing. If you have a top sheet in between you and the comforter, it makes it more hygienic I guess. However, I still think it's kind of gross to have a comforter that is not washed often as opposed to washable duvet covers.

@Huma0  Yeah, I mean, for an airbnb for sure, the comforter has to have a cover or be washed. 

But, the comforter on our bed, which is a beautiful, super heavy black/white toile pattern has been dry cleaned maybe 1 time.  But there is always a top sheet, and most of the time also a blanket covering the top of the comforter to minimize cat hair/scratches on it.  I actually think that this particular comforter could not even go in the commercial washers, its too large and heavy.

Mark, I always have a top sheet. I didn’t realize they weren’t a thing everywhere. I live in a pretty cold climate year around so I like to have a heavier bed set.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mark116 

Yes, I have one like that. It's silk and beautiful and very large and heavy. It won't fit in a household machine and, anyway, is probably too delicate for machine washing. I made the mistake of thinking I could use it in my Airbnb room. After all, it was over a duvet and other bedding, so how dirty could it get? 

Mistake. I learnt very quickly that not only does all bedding in guest room need to be machine washable, but that some guests are going to do stupid things and rip that lovely silk comforter.

Anyway, needless to say, it has since been removed.

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Mark116,

I should have said that a top sheet is common in the Americas, because I've seen them sold in North America, Central America, South America and the Caribbean.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mark116  Well, Canadians use top sheets, as do Mexicans, and I know that there have been posts from hosts in other parts of the world here who use them as well.  So it's not just an American thing.

Of course duvet covers need to be washed between guests, but for myself, personally, I use a top sheet and a duvet in cooler weather. The top sheet is folded down over the duvet, so the duvet never touches my body (which we can't assume with guests) and as it's only cold enough for a duvet for a few months here, the duvet cover does't get washed but once a season.

Ad I know that even in the US, it's the thing now for younger people to only use a duvet, with no top sheet.

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Mark116   @Huma0 

As a German who has lived in the US for thirty years I admit that I have become somewhat "Americanized" when it comes to bedding--top sheets in particular.  I like them a lot-especially in the summer, and I combine my European duvets with American sheet sets.  Best of both worlds, if you will  😉     

PS: Of course, I still change the duvet covers and protectors after every guest. 

Claire562
Level 3
Seattle, WA

Ikea has many attractive styles of duvet covers for reasonable prices.  I have more than two for each bed.  I swap duvet covers when I change the rooms and wash all the bedding  with a hot water cycle in the laundry.

Tina373
Level 2
Mobile, AL

After hearing all of this, I think I’ll switch from comforters to quilts when the weather warms up.