What are the essentials?

Jessica1
Level 2
Alameda, California, United States

What are the essentials?

So, I see that essentials are an amenity that could possibly not be provided by the host if not shown as a selected amenity. What do I do without toilet paper? 

6 Replies 6
Deborah0
Level 10
California, United States

I think it's a poor host who doesn't provide toilet paper for guests.  Not only is this a problem for the guests, it could create problems for the host.  A guest who finds no T.P. may end up using paper towels or a handkerchief to fill in,  and if they put that down the toilet, the next thing that may happen, is the plumber needs to be called to fix a toilet clog.  

Actually I think it would be quite rare that a host doesn't provide Toilet Paper. Hosts are generally oriented towards wanting to make guests happy and provide the "standard" things needed for a stay.  Some may opt not to provide extras, like free shampoo and conditioner, or a breakfast included, but the very standard things hosts tend to provide.  If you see no TP there,  it is most likely it was an oversight or forgotten, rather than intentionally left out.  A simple call or message to the host should suffice to get help with that.  

Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

1. Toilet paper is esential, but according to our travel experience not always supplied in a sufficient amount. We ended quite a couple of times looking for an open shop were we could buy more.
  2. From our trips we learned another essential thing: enough outlets for all the smart equipment we have to charge during the few hours we spend in the room. As host, now we even provide outlets with integrated USB charger.
  3. Mosquito screens are essential! Not always found when we travelled in South Europe. As experienced travellers we always carry some with us.
  4. Printed information with the basics like shops, restaurants, public transport including map is essential.
  5. Working internet wi-fi is essential. There are still listings with poor or no internet. When we started hosting 5 years ago, this was the time to install wi-fi for us (we used only wire before).
  6. A printing facility for the guest's boarding cards or tickets would be nice. We offer our guests, that they can e-mail their PDF's to us, and we print them out.
  7. Some oversee guests need a recommendation to get a local SIM card, to avoid horrendous roaming fees, or as their provider's SIM card doesn't work in Europe at all.

What is essential may also be defined by local circonstances. I always provide toilet paper, but my guests do not always return the favor. This poor host sometimes arrived back home at midnight, recovered the guest's key, set down the bags, checked the apartment: walls still standing after six weeks rent, check, used sheets in the bathroom to wash the next day, check, no flooding, check, nothing burned, check, no toilet paper - hah, look again: no toilet paper. No paper tissue either. No paper towel either. Lucky me, that's no catastrophe in Paris, 5 minutes walk and I'll find an open grocery store somewhere 😉

Wifi is pretty important, but on the seaside, where the season is 12 weeks only, it may not be interesting to pay the phone line 52 weeks to get wifi in Summer. There are still a lot of listings without wifi, at a lower price. Those hosts may provide information where to find a free access or buy a 5 Euro phone card for data.

That"s everyones choice, what is considered important.

On the other hand, on the seaside, shampoos are not enough, conditioners are essential for women with long hair and sun lotion makes guests happy.

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

When you click on the "?" next to the Essentials amennity, it describes what you should have. If you supply all of them, you can select Essentials. If you do not supply all of them, don't check it. Be sure to specify what guests would need to bring if you don't provide essentials.

Hi,  how can guests find out what's listed in essentials? Or the definitions of other amenities? Eg can 'heating' mean supplyingone small electric heater in a two-bedroom apartment when the temp is ranging from 0 to 12? 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

By asking the host.