What are the review guidelines and how to remove libel?

Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

What are the review guidelines and how to remove libel?

I had a very bad guest whom I called Airbnb the 2nd day to fully refund  and cancel his reservation. They allowed him to post a review in which he claimed I scammed people telling him I was giving a refund but didnt and that my other tenants were trying to steal his things. Neither true and this damages my reputation. Can guests say anything they want? 

Jayne Rocco
8 Replies 8
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Jayne34 

The guidelines are here:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/546/what-is-airbnb-s-content-policy

I read the review of M. and also your comment on it. I think it is good that potential guests can see both stories and make up their mind. I would not bother too much about this review. I think M. should be more worried about the review you gave him...

Best regards,

Emiel

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jayne34 I would get in contact with Airbnb and see if they can remove it, but that's not often successful. Worth a try though. You can message them on Twitter @airbnbhelp or call them at 1-855-424-7262. The review has to be factual, and since they lied about not getting a refund - something that's verifiable by Airbnb - then you might manage it.

I agree with @Emiel1 that I think that their review vs. your response speaks for itself. Accidents do happen, and you offered them the choice of staying or not based on a pretty crazy set of circumstances. Your review and response seems much more credible and level-headed than what the guest had to say, and their review wouldn't put me off staying with you.

Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

Thanks everyone. I called Airbnb and was first told they couldn't take down any reviews but I insisted on knowing the guidelines or if people could just write whatever they wanted. Then I was given a case manager whom I havnt heard from yet. My star rating just keeps falling due to a review they allowed someone I put a damage claim in on post now this one. I understand the review process and that people may overlook the bad ones but feel it's so unfair when I bend over backwards for guests, get almost all 5 star reviews but kicked out of the running for a superhost by people like this when guests have the option to search only for superhosts. It's very frustrating.... not only that but the last review is usually the ones guests see on the listing. 

Jayne Rocco
Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

Update: case manager still hasnt contacted me but I called and it's supposed to have been prioritized  I did get an email from Airbnb telling me my listing could be dropped for my now 3.3 rating. This is a new listing and I have 2 all 5 star reviews and this jerks 1 star. Really?

Jayne Rocco
Jayne34
Level 4
Deltona, FL

Wanted to update my problem. The case manager finally messaged me that the review couldn't be taken down but I messaged back quoting their review policy and the part of the review that violated it. Great news! I received a call from a new case manager saying she agreed and it violated their policy and it was removed. I guess just need a little persistants but they came through for me!

Jayne Rocco
Anthony805
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Hi Jayne, well done. I posted a factual but negative review of a guest who was here for 1 month and she has written me a truly horrible, fact-bending, lying 'reply'. Thankfully, it was not a review but was a reply and she can sit there and look at it on her page not mine. And other people looking at reviews of her will sit there and look at her reply to me - clever, smart people - will work out that her 'reply' to my negative review was pure bitter revenge, because she never complained while she was her and never posted a bona fide review. She portrayed me as a ghastly man host, she was a woman guest, so you can work out what her angle was. So I will be fighting a similar battle to the one you have been thru'.

Alon1
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Jayne34 

Glad it ended well.

Indeed, at times it does require some persistence.

Last year it took me the best part of a month to have 3 Reviews deleted from the preceding year.

(All were violations of Airbnb 3rd Party Booking rule).

Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Reviews must refer to guests' actual experience and cannot refer to Airbnb resolution actions,  right?   I'd think talking about refund promises counts.