What do I do about this damage to the TV?

Susan1330
Level 2
Mount Juliet, TN

What do I do about this damage to the TV?

A guest damaged the base of our living room television. It is still functional, but it is chipped and ugly (did they move it or... Whaaa?)

The TV itself is too old for us to find the replacement base so how do I charge for this? Or attempt to? Or do I?

IMG950710.jpg

4 Replies 4
Kaylee18
Level 10
Hamilton, Canada

@Susan1330  Every host is different. I myself would not bother trying to charge the guest because it can be a long and annoying process to even try and get ABB to cover an expense. However you could always reach out to the guest and inquire what happened with the TV. If they admit to breaking the base, you can try to agree on a price for the cost. However since the TV itself isn't broken, I don't think you'd get very much. 

If you decided to go through Airbnb for damages, they require A LOT of documentation, and in the end you need to prove it was that guest that damaged it (which can be hard if the guest disputes it). 

For such minor damage, I personally would leave it and try to make it look better (black paint maybe? or something to cover it).

But in the end, it's your personal decision  🙂 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Susan1330 

Try SUGRU, it's modeling clay for all kinds of repairs, sticks to plastic, you can buy different colors

https://sugru.com/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqs3rBRCdARIsADe1pfRsHE6FnAX-dZowGNYZqPm6FXF_zb9cqN2_SNxJU5UloDplYTd...

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

That is an interesting piece of clay @Branka-and-Silvia0 . Thanks for sharing! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Susan1330
Level 2
Mount Juliet, TN

Thanks all! That is very interesting glue/clay/goo! 🙂 

It was a weird piece for me because unlike a missing item (replaceable) or something easy to assess a cost to (when a guest burnt holes in my siding with cigarettes), this was not even available as a replacement without replacing the TV which didn't seem fair for that corner.

I think I'm going to mark this guest and the person who referred them off and move on.

Thanks so much!