What is normal/average reservation rate for a new listing?

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

What is normal/average reservation rate for a new listing?

I am a brand new host, going on 3 weeks. My home has 5 reservations already. What is the normal/average rate of reservation for a new listing?

Thanks for your help!

13 Replies 13
Alice595
Level 10
Concord, CA

@Rosalind41  Login your Airbnb account in Airbnb website. Click Host->Performance. You will see the occupancy rate compared with market averages.

oooooh, Alice, that's super helpful.  I'll go and try out my minimal techy skills to see what I find!  

What does "Level 10" mean under your name If I may ask please?

Thanks,

Roz

@Rosalind41  Level 10 is a kind of measure how many activities a host or a guest has involved in this forum. It is a combination of total posts created, browsing clicks, kudos to the posts etc. 

You will soon reach next level if you participate in the discussion a little more.

Thank you Alice, I very much appreciate your knowledge!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosalind41  There are so many variables that I don't think there's any way to find an answer to that that would give you any valuable information. It depends on the area you're in, your location within that area, what you offer, the price, whether it's tourist season or not. Some new hosts get lots of reservations immediately- if you're close to an airport and take one nighters, for instance, it could be popular right away. In my case, it was about a month  before I got my first booking after listing because it was low season, hot and humid and rainy, when hardly anyone comes here. But then bookings picked up fairly quickly.

@Rosalind41   I definitely agree with @Sarah977  , your location, price, type of accommodation you offer, etc, all weigh on how many bookings you will get.

I'd suggest playing around with your pricing and also see what other places in your area are charging to stay competitive. When I first started (7months ago) I had the auto pricing on, and I found Airbnb was setting my prices WAY too low (compared to others in the area) so I set my own pricing. So definitely look into other Airbnbs near you that are similar to what you offer and do some research. I found it really helped me with my listing and pricing! 🙂 

Hi Kaylee, 

I also did what you did about playing with lower prices as recommended by the Airbnb pricing tips, but they were so low and in a range of pricing of homes that were in a competely different quality category.  I put the prices back up and as mentioned by others in this conversation, it's better to have quality than quantity.  

I've only done this for 3 weeks and after another few months, I hope to see some kind of trends.

Thanks for your thoughts!

@Rosalind41  Exactly- the price tips are ludicrous, and what their algorithm identifies as "similar listings" are anything but.

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Thank you Sarah!!    That's so encouraging!  I appreciate your kind (and fast) advice!

Roz

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Rosalind41  The levels here only refer to how active you are on the forum. If you post a lot and get lots of thumbs up, you'd get to level 10 quite quickly. It has nothing to do with our listings, our level of expertise, how long we've been hosting, or anything else meaningful 🙂

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Thank you Sarah!  That makes a lot of sense!

Flavia195
Level 10
Grande Prairie, Canada

@Rosalind41  I am novice on Airbnb. Usually in my town the media for prices is between 22$/48$ . I was audace when I priced my list in 55$. The second month I listed the 2nd bedroom and last month the 3th and I add 25$ cleaning fee. Until now I had a good reviews. This month, i decided to remove the cleaning fee just for boost a little bit. Never under pricing your house. In my personal opinion, I would never sale my owm house cheap. I prefer quality than quantity.

(sorry for my english...is not my mother language)

Rosalind41
Level 8
Abbeville, SC

Flavia, I believe you are wise in your position.  I agree that quality is far more important!  And your English is very nice!