What needs changing?

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

What needs changing?

Hey everyone, thanks for being such a great support to a newbie.

Next question: Would several of you go to my listing as a traveler and look at it as if you really were looking in our location?

Please tell me the good, the bad and the ugly. In other words,

What's good or even great?

What photos or text are great, need tweaking or eliminating?

What's a turn off?

What could be clearer?

What could we purchase or get rid of to make it more appealing?

I hope this isn't in appropriate. I just need someone to look who has never been here and who doesn't know me or my home.

Thanks a bunch!!!

18 Replies 18
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Julie1525  I'm a smoker, too, and most people these days are aware that smoking indoors is becoming pretty unacceptable almost everywhere. The main thing about providing an outdoor area for smoking is that it should be comfortable, then people will use it. Chairs, a small table, ashtrays, shelter from the elements. If people have to stand up, maybe in the rain or the hot sun, they'll be more inclined to "sneak" smokes indoors.

And as far as the drinking- I concur with @Jessica-and-Henry0 . The type of alcohol consumed isn't an indicator of whether someone is a light, moderate, or heavy drinker, or whether they continue drinking until their behavior becomes objectionable. I dislike beer and rather enjoy a vodka tonic on a summer evening. But I would only have one or possibly 2, as I don't enjoy being drunk. (and drinking til you puke is a total waste of alcohol 🙂

My 84 year old step-mom came all the way from England to visit me 2 years ago and she likes a glass of whiskey in the late afternoon. Just one, but every day. I can assure you that she's a very proper Englishwoman and she has actually received the Order of England from the Queen herself.

I know a lot of people who have issues with people drinking, usually because there was a family member with a drinking problem who wreaked havoc on the lives of everyone around. But as a host, I don't think you can dictate that adults can't have an alcoholic drink or two at your place, that seems pretty controlling. 

I had a guest who was very quiet, kept to himself, was polite, didn't use the kichen at all except to put a beer or two in the fridge and get drinking water. But after he left, I found so many empty liquor bottles in his room- he was obviously a closet drinker, yet he never appeared drunk, and was a nice, unobtrusive  guest.

Yes, you could get a drunken guest. Or a guest could use foul language, or have sex so loud the whole household has to hear it. In other words, there's all types of rude, unacceptable behavior that we can experience, you just have to deal with it if it comes up.

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

@Sarah977 @Holy moly. I appreciate the feed back. I'll take the leap of faith in the reasonable, responsible people choosing ABB and remove those rules.  So"shelter" could be a covered front porch, sitting on a chair or the porch swing, ashtray on the side table.  

@Julie1525  sounds great!  And if you set 1 airbed nearby then my dog and I don't need a room at all 😄 😄 

Julie1525
Level 4
Mabton, WA

@Jessica-and-Henry0 , We live in the country at the end of a 1/2 mile gravel farm lane. There is no reason for anyone to just sort of drive by to check things out. The onlly loitering that takes place is with our neighbor who loves to talk. In the 21 years we have lived here, the only unwanted people were the neighbor kids party guests who parked in our driveway. And that only happened once. So no, there is no reason for us to have security cameras.