What's one thing you wish you'd known before hosting? I will go first...

Michelle1358
Level 4
North Carolina, United States

What's one thing you wish you'd known before hosting? I will go first...

1) Hair is the enemy.

16 Replies 16

@Michelle1358 

This is a triffle. I would say the following things which are much more serious - booking for one guest and arriving 3 with a baby, asking your address and telephone number before booking, insisting to pay in cash on arrival, third party bookings from a lady for a whole group going to a rock cencert, check-ins at 2, 3 or even 4 a.m., asking for a special offer because they have seen a room twice as cheap as your 2-bedroom flat ...

Michelle1358
Level 4

It IS a triffle...but as I scoured the bathroom this morning I thought about what a constant one it is.  You're listing some very real issues -- some of which we've not run into yet but are very helpful to know about.  Thank you!  There's a million things to think about to be a good host!

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Michelle1358  I agree there are always unusual and annoying situations as mentioned by @Lilly28 , but I think the point of your post is that before we host we have an imaginary picture of what it will be and then there is reality.  Actually, I was surprised that I wasn't annoyed so much during the cleaning phase as I am the cleaner as well, but I  did find I was sometimes annoyed by people being in my home :P.  I have lived alone for so long, I wasn't aware that if someone leaves a chair pulled out from the table, I would be annoyed.  Or, if they left their stuff in the shared space, I would be annoyed.  How petty is that!!  Fortunately, I did have room for personal growth even at my advanced age, and I now focus on the enjoyment of sharing in a guest's adventure in my area.

Michelle1358
Level 4

Personal growth -- just made me realize there's unexpected advantages to running an AirBnb, too!  Thank you for that!

Karen-and-Brian0
Level 10
Bragg Creek, Canada

@Michelle1358 while you will find more troubling issues as you go along, I agree with you about the hair! Early on in our Airbnb experience, I saw a post here from a host whose guest had found a stray hair in the bathroom upon arrival & had marked him down severely for "cleanliness". They're pesky things & so easy to miss - a lint roller is your best friend! After a thorough cleaning, I go through & use one on everything. So far, so good.

Brilliant idea!  Especially after a pet has been around...

Ann489
Level 10
Boise, ID

@Michelle1358    The ants inevitably show up the night before the guests arrive  😛   

Michelle1358
Level 4

Or the dishwasher springs a leak.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

2. Have one extra of everything in reserve such as linens, pillows, towels, etc. since accidents do happen.

3. Listen to the subtle cues about things that guests could use to be more comfortable. Some of them will have value.

4. Practice your "welcome" speech so you sound like you and not like a stern librarian.

5. Practice saying "no" without ever using the word no.

6. Know where you are willing to bend and be flexible, and where your are not.

And it does get easier as you gain experience and confidence. A host with an infant from a lower cost area of the country is a hard way to start.

Michelle1358
Level 4

Very helpful list, thank you! I would love examples of #5!

@Michelle1358  Only you know how YOU can say no without saying no. It must be with your own personality and voice.

@Michelle1358   One way that I say “no” indirectly is some version of this: “perhaps you’d like to choose a place that better suits your needs”. 

Or

”that sounds lovely, I’m sure you’ll find just the thing”

or there’s always “oh dear, well I do hope you’re able to work that out”

Bc afterall, I told them what we offer and they chose us. If they’d actually like to choose something different then that really isn’t my concern. 

Michelle1358
Level 4

”that sounds lovely, I’m sure you’ll find just the thing”  -- I like!  Thank you!

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

112. Do not become defensive at your first complaint. There is always something to learn, maybe they were right in their comment, maybe you just learnt that not all people as as nice.