What should I do about a shady host?

Alexandra442
Level 2
Portland, OR

What should I do about a shady host?

Hello everyone,

I'm pretty new to airbnb and my first experience was awful (sadly). This time around, I booked an entire apartment only to find out immediately later that the host has canceled on his last two guests, and the last one who got to stay in the apartment said she received an eviction notice meant for the host saying he couldn't rent the space anymore (different listing now deleted) and that airbnb has a photo of the eviction notice (this was last month). My trip isn't for another 2 months, but there aren't many places left to book. I've already canceled and requested a full refund, but they've only refunded a very small amount due to cancelation policy.

Any advice on what I should do? I've already contacted the host and I'm waiting for an answer, but I see the occupancy taxes are not being refunded either.

2 Replies 2
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

So you didn't see the reviews prior to booking, @Alexandra442?  I wonder why.  Regardless, perhaps it would be better to speak with Air BNB regarding the need to cancel.  Here is a guide for contacting Air BNB.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Thank you! I've contacted airbnb via twitter.