What to do about noise?

Stephanie1115
Level 2
Wilmington, NC

What to do about noise?

I had a guest complain that I woke them up at 7:45am while I was in the kitchen getting ice and they said I shut the fridge door really loud and I pretty much ruined their stay because they couldn’t go back to sleep. While I do try to be as quiet as I can and I also have quiet hours set to 9pm to 6am, I do work during the week and now fear I will bother future guests. What have y’all done if you host guests in the house where you currently live? I’m also open to suggestions on what I could do better. 

6 Replies 6
Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Stephanie1115 

Hope you are well. 

Upon check in I remind guests that I live here as well and given my work hours I need to be up for certain times. I apologise beforehand for any potential noise but explain that I try to keep it as quiet as possible. 

Given how different people react to noise when sleeping I also provide ear plugs.... if you are a light sleeper and book an Airbnb you should realistically come prepared. 

Being understanding and kind is truthfully the most you can do. 

Good luck to you! 

Yadira 🙂

Thanks! I will make sure to remind my guests from now on about my work hours and ear plugs are a great idea!!

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Stephanie1115 

Definitely a case of precious guest syndrome !

I agree especially when my place is cheaper than a hotel with more amenities!

@Stephanie1115   I've had someone come in to the kitchen while I was cooking to shoosh me at 5 PM, because they'd been clubbing all night and needed silence for their nap. They wound up complaining about the sounds of children playing outside their window, and even went so far as to whine about the children's ethnicity in the review.

Precious Guest Syndrome sums it up pretty well. Obviously this person shouldn't stay in a shared house. Good hospitality doesn't mean you have to tiptoe around your own home.

That is insane! And I agree you shouldn't have to tiptoe around your house.