Whether to update a listing or create a new one

Na6
Level 1
New Haven, CT

Whether to update a listing or create a new one

My listing was for a private space which was my former dining room, I converted it to a small guest space.  The only consistent concerns listed in my reviews are their space is small and they didn't like walking through my bedroom to get to the bathroom (though that was on my listing description.)  So I have decided that I am going to move into the guest space and convert my bedroom into the guest bedroom.  That is an upgrade from a twin daybed to now they will have a king size tempurpedic.  And the room is a little more spacious.  I will have to be the one to walk through their room if I need to use the bathroom, but I have a feeling that will be less of a problem than them having to walk through my bedroom.

So since it's a different room, and the dynamics are going to be different, and I know that most people don't read the description, they read the reviews, I am contemplating creating a new listing altogether, because I feel like it would accurately rate and review the newer version of my Airbnb, and the reviews will reflect the changes rather than me losing potential guests because they keep reading the space is small.  My only concern with creating a new listing is I'm starting from scratch, right?  Because my reviews from the small guest space wouldn't be listed.  Is it worth it?  Are there any other downsides or upsides I should take into consideration?

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Hi,

As it is another room, i think you should create a new listing. The old one can still be there for some time (but with a totally closed calender) and be deactivated after a while. Just for keeping the reviews visible for potential guests, if interested.

If you open the old and new listing in different tabs, it's easy to copy/paste all the text etc . I noticed there is a lot of text in your listing,  it takes some discipline to read it all. Maybe make it a bit more compact ?

The "walking through bedrooms" (in either described situation) is not pleasant. Try to find or create a better solution. If not possible within the layout of the house, make very clear appointments about access times etc.

Best regards,

Emiel

Thank you Emiel for the direct and concise suggestions and feedback on my listing; I'm definitely going to use all of it.  I really appreciate your time!

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Na6 I agree with @Emiel1 when she said The "walking through bedrooms" (in either described situation) is not pleasant. My opinion is that if you can not avoid it bc of your home layout then your home is apropriate for short term rental only as an entire house . In my country you would not be able to get  a short-term-rental licence for a room without direct access to communal areas and bathroom.

I think your guests will feel even worse if you will invade their space . Just to compare - my own daughter has no issues to enter my room whenever she wants but if I dare to enter hers then it upsets her. You got the picture 🙂

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Na6,

If you do choose to create a new listing then the reviews from your current listing will still be visible on your personal profile page.

Steve.

Edwin57
Level 10
New York, United States

Looks like you need more planning in arranging your space witch is not a big problem make it fun see if you can have pocket doors