Why are hosts leaving on April 29th?

Glen-And-Jennifer0
Level 1
Whitesboro, TX

Why are hosts leaving on April 29th?

I follow a few Facebook groups and have noticed hundreds of posts about hosts leaving Airbnb after April 29th.  They say it is because of a new cancellation policy.  I read the new policy and it seems obvious to me that this will be adjusted once Airbnb figures out how guests will scam hosts at an even higher rate than they currently do.  My question is why would a host leave Airbnb... Just block your calendar if you are so worried about it. 

2 Replies 2
Paul1255
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Glen-And-Jennifer0  I hope you’re doing well!

I think a lot of hosts want to feel confident that the platform they list on implements policies that don’t need obvious real world road-testing and adjustment before they actually perform the function they’re designed for.

Airbnb has many, many years experience operating in the short term rental market- hosts shouldn’t have to be used as cannon fodder in the rolling-out of changes to policies that even someone on the outside of the industry with no experience can tell will be easily abused.

Why would a host leave Airbnb? I’m not planning on doing that myself, but I’m sure you’ll get some responses from hosts who are planning to/or already have done so.

Best wishes 

Paul 

Laura2606
Level 2
Cape Canaveral, FL

From my opinion, Air BnB were really good about reimbursing and when we first started, I really thought they had our back.  I knew when they went public things would change and it did.  They rarely back up the host and the guest is always right.  I had $14k in damages, they paid me 4, it took me a week to clean the house while my hubby and others' were doing repairs.  They give no reasons of what they paid, just "after further review....."  Typically customer service answers have misspellings and hard to read their responses because the grammar is awful!

In my opinion, the future of Air BnB will be cheap with no frills as why should we put our all into something where guests can do whatever, whenever they want!  I'm not leaving yet, just looking for alternatives.